What's new

Type Cover not working

davea66

Hi
I wonder if someone is able to help...

Recently maybe the last couple of weeks, the type cover on my SP4 has stopped working.
Nothing, no lights or anything.
I have seen many ways to fix this by googling and it seems I am not alone.
( I am trying to remember if this became an issue after a windows update...)

Some of the methods may work, sometimes if I try them 3 or 4 times, particularly the
switch off - hold down vol up and power for 15 seconds, switch on- attach keyboard.

However soon after it will fail again. Sometimes after leaving the SP4 overnight it will just start working again!

Anyway, upshot is I spend more time trying to get the keyboard working that actually using the SP4, it's become a real PITA!

Any advice please??

Many thanks!

mgargan1

Hi
I wonder if someone is able to help...

Recently maybe the last couple of weeks, the type cover on my SP4 has stopped working.
Nothing, no lights or anything.
I have seen many ways to fix this by googling and it seems I am not alone.
( I am trying to remember if this became an issue after a windows update...)

Some of the methods may work, sometimes if I try them 3 or 4 times, particularly the
switch off - hold down vol up and power for 15 seconds, switch on- attach keyboard.

However soon after it will fail again. Sometimes after leaving the SP4 overnight it will just start working again!

Anyway, upshot is I spend more time trying to get the keyboard working that actually using the SP4, it's become a real PITA!

Any advice please??

Many thanks!

I am experiencing the EXACT same problem, and gone through the same exact steps yesterday. i find it odd that we're both experiencing this at the same time. Did you by any chance make any changes to tablet mode? my screen doesn't rotate any more either. not sure if it's related.

OP
D

davea66

No, no changes made, at least not be me :)
Tablet mode still works, rotation is OK but I have seen other who have had issues with tablet mode at the same time as type cover problems.
I we have had this issue at the same time, I guess others will have as well.

Surface4Pro

Hi guys, you are not alone.

I'm using Surface Pro 4 & my Surface Type Cover stopped working. It all started last night, and its been two days now that I've tried every possible troubleshooting. The common workaround found on the internet for hard-rebooting with Volume+ and Power did not work.

An interesting observation I've made is... my Surface detects the keyboard, however the keyboard doesn't work.

Troubleshooting steps tried:
1. Checked the Surface Type Cover for physical damage - None, cause its always carefully packed and kept.
2. Detached and reattached to see if it picks.
3. Cleaned the ports both on the keyboard and Surface with alcohol.
4. Surface Pro Two-Button Shutdown (Volume-up button and the Power button)
5. Enabled and disabled the Keyboard port in Surface BIOS
6. After 8 hours of troubleshooting, fed up and did a FULL RESET.
7. Completed Windows Update which included an update for Surface Keyboard.

STILL, its not working. On the device manager and control panel > Devices, its shows 'Surface Type Cover', but the keyboard doesnt light up / work.

Any help?
Thank you

ScottyS

Have any of you tried your keyboard on another Surface and another type cover on your Surface?

I had my type cover stop working on my SP3. It worked on other Surfaces and other (working) type covers did not work on my SP3. Took it back to a MS store and when they were able to demonstrate the above they quickly exchanged my SP3.

outsidesince83

Have any of you tried your keyboard on another Surface and another type cover on your Surface?

I had my type cover stop working on my SP3. It worked on other Surfaces and other (working) type covers did not work on my SP3. Took it back to a MS store and when they were able to demonstrate the above they quickly exchanged my SP3.

Took back to MS Store and tried other Type Covers. My cover worked on other devices and their cover did not work on mine.

Completely reset device and did not fix. Taking back to MS Store for a new unit. Pretty dissappointed

gonfern

Having the same problem with the keyboard and have tried the same things as SurfacePro4 on my Pro 2017, however, differently from him, my typecover doesn't show on the control panel>device management (it shows HID device under keyboards) - not sure what to do anymore

feffe73

Hy all,
same issue.
I 've investigated the problem and it's clear but very strage.
Type cover is ok, works on other surface.
My surface 4 see the type cover( in control pannel when you try to connect type cover you can see the type join the system) .
I think the port is ok, surface sees the type cover, but they don't communicate each other.
Conclusion: i bealive it's a software issue. By this experience is not an hardware issue, Hardware issue is when surface doesn't see the type cover i think.
I will send to assistance and i will update you

Milanyo

Hello everyone! I am using a Surface Pro 2017. To address this problem, the Microsoft contact center worked with me to reset the computer. It worked after that. When I detached the cover again to use the unit on tablet mode, and I re-attached the cover after, it will not work again. I re-started, still not working. I shut down, and re-started it worked.

The agent suggested that I return the unit. Unfortunately, I am out of the USA now. I am now afraid to remove the cover. This defeats the purpose of buying a Surface Pro. If this is a software issue, will returning the unit solve this?

Any one out there with the same issue?

OP
D

davea66

My typecover, on SP4, had this intermittent type problem.
Microsoft got me to send it back for replacement, and the replacement works fine.
So, in the end, faulty TypeCover. No problems since!

martyboy

Hi , I received a new typecover ( the one with backlit keys ) to replace an older model . When I tried to use it a number of keys did not function so I tried to return for a replacement but the retailer only had fingerprint scan keyboards in stock so i got a refund. I purchased another typecover from a different retailer and this one also has keys that do not function , namely the z,x,c and v . My older typecover still functions . Is this just really bad luck or is there an underlying problem with the newer typecovers. I have been unable as yet to return the latest cover as I have been away from home . Has anyone else had these sort of issues.