What's new

Solved Type cover not working

I just bought a Surface Pro today with a type cover, and the type cover does not register when connected. There were one or two quick instances when the cover would work, but now it doesn't. I tried disconnecting it, turning the screen off then on, resetting, and nothing. Is it me, or am I missing something?

mitchellvii

I just bought a Surface Pro today with a type cover, and the type cover does not register when connected. There were one or two quick instances when the cover would work, but now it doesn't. I tried disconnecting it, turning the screen off then on, resetting, and nothing. Is it me, or am I missing something?

Is your SP running all the latest updates? Are you sure there is no protective packing material stuck to the contacts? It could just be a bad type cover - it should work without any special gymnastics. Rub the contacts with a little alcohol and see if it doesn't work. You can always just return it.

OP
W

whiteblazer01

Not sure what happened, but the cover has been working fine. The rare time it acts up again, I disconnect and reconnect it, then it works fine. No idea.

OP
W

whiteblazer01

I tried restarting, disconnecting/reconnecting, and nothing. So out of frustration, I shut it off, left it for an hour, and now it works again. I don't get it...

Clairelly

I tried restarting, disconnecting/reconnecting, and nothing. So out of frustration, I shut it off, left it for an hour, and now it works again. I don't get it...

I've had the similar problem as you do.

My keyboard was working well about two or three days ago. I installed the new updates needed for my Surface RT prior to the issue. The only issue I have is that the letters E and L just won't work. I've tried everything from applying alcohol on the contacts, restart and then eventually refreshing my Surface RT, I also made sure that the Filter keys option was not marked, checking if I have installed all the latest updates (and if there were problems, I had it fixed), and my very last resort was to reinstall Windows with all of my files and apps deleted in the process. The letters E and L still won't work! In my frustration I also just shut it down, left it for about 8 hours before turning it on again but it still doesn't work. :cry:

I'm hoping that this may be a firmware problem. Any suggestions on how I can make my letters E and L work again? :disappointed:

kambakhsh

I bought a touch cover few days ago align with surface pro ,and now 5keys doesn't work.the keys are mainly on the right side of key board del, enter,/,shift and arrow.any body has some sort of these issues who was able to solve.

Lolvo

These could possibly all be connection issues; a similar situation as to why the charger sometimes does not charge the device when hooked up correctly.

Make sure the leads on both the tablet and keyboard are free of dirt and dust, and try reconnecting. If the problem persists, I'd bet that you have a hardware issue that needs to be addressed with Microsoft.

BBilley91

I've had the same issue starting yesterday, it came also with my Windows button not working on the tablet (it'll vibrate, but nothing happens). I've had my Pro for a few months and it's worked fine since. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, and other Type Covers as well. I'm assuming/hoping (in my case) that it's the 8.1 Preview causing random troubles again.

Shane Bigler

I had a similar issue where I couldn't type. It was like it was stuck on a hotkey setting because the letters on the keyboard would give navigation commands instead of typing. I noticed that whatever it was the on-screen keyboard did the same thing. I couldn't figure out how or why this had happened or if I inadvertently hit something on the keyboard. I ended up restarting the computer.