What's new

Type Cover problem?

Shaoran

Hi, I have been using SP for almost 2 weeks now. (maybe a little bit more :tongue:) At first, I bought Touch Cover but didn't like it and can't really get used to it. lol (mistype etc..) and now I sold it and bought my Type cover today and it seems like track pad doesn't respond very well like it supposed to. (other notebook especially on Mac work pretty good, using two fingers and I never have this kind of trouble)

Sometime, when I use two fingers to move pages, only cursor moved which annoyed me the most...

Does anybody have this problem? if so how to fix it? if it's hardware issue so I can change it. maybe tomorrow

by the way, sorry for my grammar lol English is not my first language.

bertopl

I've had a few different type covers thinking that I had a hardware problem when I first got my surface. your trackpad behavior is exactly what I've experienced. unfortunately, this was the case with every type cover I've had on my surface and also the one's I've tinkered with at the Microsoft Store. I believe this is just the way the trackpads are on these keyboards, not very responsive. I also have a MacBook Air and the difference is night and day. I ended up picking up a wedge mouse and it is far less frustrating to navigate with that over the trackpad and still very portable.

OP
S

Shaoran

I've had a few different type covers thinking that I had a hardware problem when I first got my surface. your trackpad behavior is exactly what I've experienced. unfortunately, this was the case with every type cover I've had on my surface and also the one's I've tinkered with at the Microsoft Store. I believe this is just the way the trackpads are on these keyboards, not very responsive. I also have a MacBook Air and the difference is night and day. I ended up picking up a wedge mouse and it is far less frustrating to navigate with that over the trackpad and still very portable.

Ouch... I think I'll just give it a try with exchanging my cover and hope that's fix. Thanks for your respond =) and hope to see more without this kind of problem...

P.S. For me, Touch Cover's track pad performed way better though... only issue with touch cover is when you use 2 fingers gesture you have to wait for a second until you can move cursor with one finger.

WHY MS CANNOT MAKE BOTH OF THEM GOOD??? -___-''

daonei

Ouch... I think I'll just give it a try with exchanging my cover and hope that's fix. Thanks for your respond =) and hope to see more without this kind of problem...

P.S. For me, Touch Cover's track pad performed way better though... only issue with touch cover is when you use 2 fingers gesture you have to wait for a second until you can move cursor with one finger.
WHY MS CANNOT MAKE BOTH OF THEM GOOD??? -___-''

Hey Shaoran,

That's exactly my frustration with the Touch Cover. Is it the same with the Type Cover? I'm thinking about getting the Touch Cover if this can get resolved. I hate that split second of waiting. It's a noticeable setback to my daily work.
Thanks@

bertopl

I had the touch cover briefly and to my memory, the trackpad was slightly more responsive than the one on the type cover but the type cover I have does NOT have the split second delay that I remember the short time I used the touch cover. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that have both and can give you a more definitive answer.

OP
S

Shaoran

Hey Shaoran,

That's exactly my frustration with the Touch Cover. Is it the same with the Type Cover? I'm thinking about getting the Touch Cover if this can get resolved. I hate that split second of waiting. It's a noticeable setback to my daily work.
Thanks@

Hi, Type cover doesn't have the delay problem. That's the reason why I purchased it. But end up with another problem which is worse for me...

Will report back after I change mine.

rilot

I have both Type and Touch covers.

Type cover doesn't have the "pause" after you scroll but the touchpad itself is less responsive to 2 finger scrolling. Personally, I think both are flawed. Maybe MS will release updated versions when the next generation of Surface is released.

Krooked

This is exactly the same experience I've had. The type cover is GREAT for typing, buy the trackpad sucks. I also bought a wedge mouse and I am much happier. I hope someone else starts making these covers.

mmoss2

I hope someone else starts making these covers.

I agree - hopefully the MS covers will be trend setters and we will see other manufacturers follow.

The cover was the whole reason I went for the Surface - all other tablet keyboards seem bulky and ugly to me and make the tablet look like a cheap netbook (at best). Some are not even convertible and you have to carry a separate keyboard ... which seems to defeat the whole point of tablets - at least for using a tablet in an office setting (IE portability and ease of use). If I'm going to drag a whole bunch of crap with me, I might as well bring my laptop.

Wevenhuis

I agree - hopefully the MS covers will be trend setters and we will see other manufacturers follow.

The cover was the whole reason I went for the Surface - all other tablet keyboards seem bulky and ugly to me and make the tablet look like a cheap netbook (at best). Some are not even convertible and you have to carry a separate keyboard ... which seems to defeat the whole point of tablets - at least for using a tablet in an office setting (IE portability and ease of use). If I'm going to drag a whole bunch of crap with me, I might as well bring my laptop.

Does anyone know how to turn off the trackpad? Thanks.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

tonyz3

Also if you have a SP you can down load the Microsoft mouse and keyboard settings app- it is in addition to the app in the app store.. you will need to go to MS site -not app store to get it- just BING it or search the forum I linked it in another thread. It should take care of your issues. My type cover which I got on launch day is very responsive and the trackpad is very quick and responsive as well.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8