What's new

Type Cover Waking Device

If i hit the sleep button and then close the cover, it seems the cover is waking the device back up. If I press the power button and wait about ten seconds, then close it, it doesn't seem to wake it up. I'm afraid it may decide to wake up on its own while in my bag. Has anyone noticed anything like this?

bryanbreguet

If i hit the sleep button and then close the cover, it seems the cover is waking the device back up. If I press the power button and wait about ten seconds, then close it, it doesn't seem to wake it up. I'm afraid it may decide to wake up on its own while in my bag. Has anyone noticed anything like this?

Yes I noticed this a couple of times. I decided that the touch cover was too likely to move while the surface was in my bag. So I totally disabled the wake/sleep options of the cover. Now, if I open or close the cover, nothing happens. I find it safer.

GoodBytes

Yea. When you close the type cover it registers a sleep command, like a normal laptop. So I think by pressing the button, and closing the cover, as it is not an actual button system by rather some sensor, it sends a "cover open" at some time, so it wakes up the system. That is my assumption. So basically, choose, close keyboard to sleep, or press button. Don't do both. However, I must say, I don't have this issue on my side (trying it now, and not doing what you are experiencing. note that I di dnot install the Jan firmware update, I have the October one, everything works flawlessly so why upgrade?)

The lot number of my surface pro 2 is 1401, and the type cover 2 is 1345 if you wonder.

DNP

Yes I noticed this a couple of times. I decided that the touch cover was too likely to move while the surface was in my bag. So I totally disabled the wake/sleep options of the cover. Now, if I open or close the cover, nothing happens. I find it safer.

Is this with the Type Cover 2? And it sounds like you set the "Close Lid" power option to "Do Nothing". I'm having a problem that when the "Close Lid" is set to "Do Nothing" the touchpad gestures are disabled and to reactivate the gesture features the type cover needs to be detached and then reattached (after a while it becomes a PITA). This seems to be pretty consistent for all of the SP2's and Type Cover 2's I've tested this on and was wondering if you notice the same? The techs at the MS store said it's probably a driver issue, but not sure (and they also could replicate the problem and agreed that it needs to be "fixed"). Thanks for any info. DNP

Last edited:
OP
S

Sher the Love

Is this with the Type Cover 2? And it sounds like you set the "Close Lid" power option to "Do Nothing". I'm having a problem that when the "Close Lid" is set to "Do Nothing" the touchpad gestures are disabled and to reactivate the gesture features the type cover needs to be detached and then reattached (after a while it becomes a PITA). This seems to be pretty consistent for all of the SP2's and Type Cover 2's I've tested this on and was wondering if you notice the same? The techs at the MS store said it's probably a driver issue, but not sure (and they also could replicate the problem and agreed that it needs to be "fixed"). Thanks for any info. DNP

It is the type cover 2 and I do have the option set to "do nothing" when closing the lid. I'm not sure what you're referring to about the touchpad gestures though. I have those disable as well and want those disabled.

DNP

It is the type cover 2 and I do have the option set to "do nothing" when closing the lid. I'm not sure what you're referring to about the touchpad gestures though. I have those disable as well and want those disabled.

Thanks. I want to have the same option of "Do Nothing" for the "Lid Close" power setting, but still want to maintain the trackpad gestures. Unfortunately, that's what seems to create the conflict which causes the gestures to become temporarily disabled and requires the type cover to be pulled off and placed back on to reestablish the gesture functions. All other features of the type cover seem to be OK...only the trackpad goes offline.

Ruffles

I configure mine to sleep when I close the cover and hibernate when I press the power button.