What's new

type cover wear and tear

bertopl

I know this is kind of trivial but does the trackpad on the type covers seem to wear quickly for you folks? I know that over time, some trackpads and keys on keyboards develop shiny spots where they wear down. I had a type cover on my Surface when I bought it on launch day and used it for a week and it already showed a shiny worn spot on the trackpad that couldn't be cleaned off. I had problems with the type cover not responding occasionally so Microsoft swapped it out for a new one and same thing after only about another couple weeks of use. not a big deal ri'now but it makes me wonder what this thing'll look like after a year or so. seeing other Surface's on display since showed they all looked noticeably worn. I have a Macbook that's about 3 years old and it looks almost completely new except for some very subtle wear on the spacebar that's not nearly as noticeable as on the type cover's trackpad after only a couple weeks. my hands are always pretty clean using my computers and I wipe them down about once a week so keeping them clean isn't the problem. anyone else notice?

shpat

Yes, I have only had mine 3 days and I can already see a shiny spot on the pad that will not wipe off. I have a MS sculpt mouse to use with it when I am working but I hate to have to use it when I am just browsing or playing a game on the couch.

I noticed a lot of wear when I used the touch cover. I've switched to the type cover, and I use the thing a lot, been using it six weeks and it still looks brand new.

bryanhayn

Don't worry about it. That problem is extremely minor. Friction causes things to wear out, that's just life. Just buy another type cover later if it still bothers you (it probably won't... you'll forget about it).

OP
bertopl

bertopl

it doesn't really bother me too much ri'now, it's still a remarkable keyboard for being so portable. seems very early on to show any wear though. I can appreciate when gadgets are designed to easily look new for years but part of the appeal of the Surface like you said is that the keyboard is cheaply replaced unlike a normal laptop. thanks for all the feedback!!

ttxzee

i use my touch cover quite a lot, the marks left on the touch pad can be washed off with a bit of water.

MarkDau

I love my SP and Type Cover, but as a person with OCD I think Microsoft failed tremendously on something you have touched on with both products - they don't hold up physically, even under "babied" circumstances. VaporMG chips, scratches, and is a fingerprint magnet, and the felt on the Touch/Type Covers, even the keys, show grease & wear no matter how clean your hands are... all pretty early on! They should have tested the materials more extensively.

I love my SP and Type Cover, but as a person with OCD I think Microsoft failed tremendously on something you have touched on with both products - they don't hold up physically, even under "babied" circumstances. VaporMG chips, scratches, and is a fingerprint magnet, and the felt on the Touch/Type Covers, even the keys, show grease & wear no matter how clean your hands are... all pretty early on! They should have tested the materials more extensively.
I have only 2 issues with the TypeCover2... both related to the touchpad.

First, the touchpad buttons would be better if they were physical buttons similar to the keys. Second, the abrasive coating on the touchpad and palm rests may be great for callous removal but it shows as "wear". I have to regularly use a small brush with short stiff bristles to clean the touchpad.

I have only 2 issues with the TypeCover2... both related to the touchpad.

First, the touchpad buttons would be better if they were physical buttons similar to the keys. Second, the abrasive coating on the touchpad and palm rests may be great for callous removal but it shows as "wear". I have to regularly use a small brush with short stiff bristles to clean the touchpad.

agree with this, sometimes I catch myself looking closely at the touch pad to make sure im hitting the button area if Im trying to right click. Also I wish they made the touch pad a "slick" surface