What's new

Type Covers

t_c

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I did search this forum and the net and couldn't find the answer, soooo... does the Surface Pro 3 type cover work with a Pro 4? I ask as for me $100/£100+ is just too expensive for a keyboard, especially as I've recently seen some heavily reduced Pro 3 covers (e.g £29, PCWorld in UK) but when I ask the staff, they have no idea and will not even bother to find out by using a demo machine.
*rant on* No doubt they would be sooo helpful if it were an Apple product *rant off*.

So any reply, especially from anyone who as actually plugged a Pro3 type cover into a Pro4, would be greatly appreciated.
Also, if anyone has any links from these forums or elsewhere to any well made, reliable third party type cover alternatives, please link away.

Thanks in advance.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It does. Just tested it. The only issue is that due to the larger screen on the sp4, when you have the keyboard stuck to the screen with the magnet for the angled typing profile, the magnetic connection to the screen/bezel is VERY weak so will easily detach, and it will also cover up part of of the task bar

wynand32

It does. Just tested it. The only issue is that due to the larger screen on the sp4, when you have the keyboard stuck to the screen with the magnet for the angled typing profile, the magnetic connection to the screen/bezel is VERY weak so will easily detach, and it will also cover up part of of the task bar

I'm using my "leftover" SP3 Type Cover with my SP4, and I'm not finding the magnet to be terribly weak. But the fact that it covers the task bar while attached is a real pain. I might break down and get an SP4 Type Cover, which of course has the added benefit of much improved typing feel.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I'm using my "leftover" SP3 Type Cover with my SP4, and I'm not finding the magnet to be terribly weak. But the fact that it covers the task bar while attached is a real pain. I might break down and get an SP4 Type Cover, which of course has the added benefit of much improved typing feel.

If you do get a Type Cover 4, consider the fingerprint reader. Works very well with only a quick touch.

wynand32

If you do get a Type Cover 4, consider the fingerprint reader. Works very well with only a quick touch.

I've thought about it, but Windows Hello works well enough for me. And I'm already stretching the budget getting the entry level version. [emoji4]

OP
T

t_c

Thanks for the replies, useful info. I mainly bought the Surface for artistic needs but a keyboard would come in handy now and again for those handy short cuts. I hope Microsoft can someday bring out a Surface with side buttons as found on the Cintiq Companion or at least continue to develop a type pad something similar to this (but better)