What's new

Type Keyboard constantly switching to function commands

Intangir

Ever since yesterday my Type Keyboard keeps randomly changing to function commands. Sometimes even while I am in the middle of typing, it will change so that all the keyboard keys start doing keyboard shortcuts instead of normally typing... I can't for the life of my figure out why it is constantly switching over, but it is pretty annoying.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix for it? The problem continues to keep happening even after a shutdown/restart
:confused:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you installed anything like Auto Hotkey? I've seen this in older tablets when the FN key was pressed on the Soft Keyboard or the On Screen keyboard (OSK from Accessibility) Windows 8 doesn't clear the USER Mode unless you use a full shutdown, reboots only suspend the USER Mode.

OP
I

Intangir

I haven't installed any Auto Hotkey programs or anything related to typing and the Type cover with the exception of Trackpad settings app, which has no relevant options.

OP
I

Intangir

Bad Cover?

I really hope not :sorry:. I don't really know any other way to test the cover to see if it is the cause of the problem. I thought about testing it with a Bluetooth keyboard I have sitting around, but I don't know if that would give an accurate reproduction of the conditions to determine the cause of the issue.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you are near a BestBuy, Staples or MS Store you can take the device in and test their covers....

J515OP

Super Moderator
Hi Intangir this has been covered in a couple of threads. Try a search for stuck Windows key. I believe it is either going to be a software fix or bad keyboard that needs to be replaced.

JP

Dave's

I think this same thing happened to mine yesterday which is what prompted me to find this forum. While attempting to access a site with a password, pressing 'i' brings up a new IE page. 'r' returns me to a previous app. Using the onscreen keyboard works but makes working on the site difficult at best. Guess it's back to the MS store.