What's new

Type keyboard issues and losing mouse pointer

cellsaver

Frequently my Type Cover keyboard stops working, I find myself detaching and attaching it frequently just to get it to work.

I know you're not supposed to detach while it's sleeping and I'm not doing that, but a lot of times after I've had it flipped back in tablet mode, then I change it to "laptop mode" nothing happens.

Also, I lose my mouse pointer frequently.

Just curious if anyone else is seeing these issues.

TC

YKinase

I have had a similar problem with the missing mouse pointer. It simply disappears - usually when I'm in Explorer - but then pops back in after 30 sec or so. Touch still works. I plan to uninstall/reinstall the drivers - just haven't had a chance yet. I'll let you know if that works when I do.

ArtfulDodger

I had this issue and eventually pointer went away. I called MS and am returning cover to get a new one. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Ruffles

I had this and it ended up be a defective surface that had to be exchanged. My keyboard would work for about 2-3 min and then stop.

dleuen

I have had a similar problem with the missing mouse pointer. It simply disappears - usually when I'm in Explorer - but then pops back in after 30 sec or so. Touch still works. I plan to uninstall/reinstall the drivers - just haven't had a chance yet. I'll let you know if that works when I do.

This is exactly what I see. That's what makes me think it is software, not hardware.

callen525

I have the same problem. However, I noticed if I touch the screen anywhere with my finger, and then go back and use the trackpad on the type cover, then it seems to start working. I am pretty sure it is a software problem.

lkailburn

I have the issue where if i flip the keyboard back behind it disables just perfectly but when i flip it forward into "laptop" mode it does not re-enable the keyboard.

jeffskent

I have the similar issue in that I sometimes lose the ability to have keyboard input on the type cover, but never with the Apple BT keyboard I use at home. I can also type Control key plus F1 key combination to activate Gadsen Print Screen utility at any time with the Apple Wireless keyboard. The same key combination does not work with the type cover, however. I'm thinking that only one keyboard can be the keyboard "of record" at a time, but I don't know. Any thoughts or similar experiences with this?

null4end

My Type Keyboard stops working pretty frequently when I am using it on my lap either on a laptop tray or just on my legs. I don't think I have ever noticed doing this when I am using it on a table or desk.

riggi

Sometimes I have to fold the type cover back past 180 degrees and then forward again. Maybe a few times.
I think the sensor that detects if the type cover is folded back or not doesn't always toggle correctly when the type cover moves from one position to another.

lwetzel

Well i just had the problem and was sitting here reading the posts, thinking the whole time as to why nothing was helping. then I looked at my Surface Pro and noticed I had my external monitor plugged in but not turned on. I unplugged the monitor from the Surface and immediately had the cursor. Ain't that a kicker. Working fine now and even plugged it back in. Geesh wonder if MS will read this.

drolem

You can detach in any time you want -- no harm will be done. As a matter of fact, a detach/re-attach cycle is an easy way to fix issues with the keyboard.