What's new

Type/Touch Cover Rubbing on the Screen Question

Yazman

Those that have the Type and Touch Covers (especially those of with the first gen Surface and kb's, that have used them for a while), has anyone noticed any abrasion to the Surface screen, where the "key" may rub on it, when closed?

Have seen this occur on laptops, where there is next to no clearance between the keyboard and the plastic screen, and somehow slight movement and external pressure has occurred and the highest edges of the keys have left fine scratches in the screen, showing the layout of the kb on the screen.
Getting a SP2 and Type 2 cover for the holidays and was wonder if I should find a piece of very thin closed cell foam, to put between the screen and closed kb, to protect the screen glass.

kundas1

if you buy a screen protector for your Surface you should be fine, no need to use a foam piece...

OP
Y

Yazman

The screen protector was already on my Holiday list.

The Type 2 is on my Holiday list also, so was wondering.

BillJ

I once got a small piece of sand on the type cover of my SP1, and when I closed the device and put it in a knapsack, the sand scratched the upper right corner of the screen. When I sold the SP1 (to get a SP2) I had to discount the unit markedly due to the scratch. In other threads on this forum, there have been several people with similar experiences with the type cover scratching the display.
I don't like using screen protectors, so now I just make very sure that the keyboard and glass are free of specks of dirt or debris before I close them up.

kundas1

why do you not like screen protectors? I have one and I don't even notice it. also had you had a screen protector you wouldn't of had any scratches to your screen and could have sold it for more :big smile:

dougpaw57

I once got a small piece of sand on the type cover of my SP1, and when I closed the device and put it in a knapsack, the sand scratched the upper right corner of the screen. When I sold the SP1 (to get a SP2) I had to discount the unit markedly due to the scratch. In other threads on this forum, there have been several people with similar experiences with the type cover scratching the display.
I don't like using screen protectors, so now I just make very sure that the keyboard and glass are free of specks of dirt or debris before I close them up.

I agree, I don't like screen protectors either. All the ones I've tried are either matte finish which ruins the sharpness of the display, or they are "stickier?" and the feel while dragging isn't as smooth. Screen protectors on my phone are a great idea because of the beating it takes, but on the Surface I just clean the screen a lot and use a Type Cover 2 instead of the original.

daniielrp

I have the pro 2 and type 2, not particularly noticed this problem, however I do remember having it more with my old RT and the touch cover, possibly as that was more softener material?

kundas1

I bought this one which is on sale for $10 at staples and it works perfectly with no bothersome at all!! honestly I can't tell that it's on

s0736548_sc7

CrippsCorner

Another user here that doesn't like screen protectors. Call me OCD but I always wipe my keyboard and screen with a microfibre cloth before shutting it. So far... perfect screen :)

Wayne Orwig

I use a screen protector. I doesn't bother me much. But it is scratched in a number of places where the keyboard had some dirt on it when I closed it.
I now always wipe the screen and keyboard before closing it and putting it away. I also have a microfiber cloth that I lay on the keyboard to keep it off the screen. That has stopped the scratching and I have a new protector on order.