What's new

typer cover 2 red?

GaudiestJA

hi i see in many forums that people show us a typer cover 2 in color red but when im going to check in microsoft page i only see cyan,magneta,black y purple colors. the red type cover 2 is a fake image? or only for exclusive countries? and if i buy the typer cover 2 i can used it on my surface pro 1? thxs

oion

You're mistaken. There is no red Type 2. There was a red Touch 1. Do you have links to these "many forums" that show a red Type?

I expect Type 2 to be compatible with both 1st gens (Surface RT and Surface Pro 1), but the backlighting wouldn't work on Surface RT.

kristalsoldier

You're mistaken. There is no red Type 2. There was a red Touch 1. Do you have links to these "many forums" that show a red Type?

I expect Type 2 to be compatible with both 1st gens (Surface RT and Surface Pro 1), but the backlighting wouldn't work on Surface RT.

I think MS was explicit on the compatibility issue (except for the Power Cover, which won't work on the 1st Gen Surface RT, but will work on the 1st Gen Surface Pro). I also believe the backlighting will work on ALL Surface machines - past and emergent! See here - http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-2-accessories-visually

oion

I think MS was explicit on the compatibility issue (except for the Power Cover, which won't work on the 1st Gen Surface RT, but will work on the 1st Gen Surface Pro). I also believe the backlighting will work on ALL Surface machines - past and emergent! See here - http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-2-accessories-visually

Oh wait, you're right. I was thinking of the battery cover--the charge direction on existing keyboards is always outgoing, and the Surface RT doesn't have a 2-way charge flow the way Surface Pro does. So of course the backlighting should work. ;)

Maybe there should be a sticky about official accessory compatibility. I don't think MS has an official page. I've seen quite a few questions about dock compatibility between Pro 1 and Pro 2, for example: one published article claims the dock is compatible with Pro 2 AND Surface 2, while another says it's Intel-only devices. *sigh*

Last edited:

shots

Red Type Cover

The red touch cover is in the PC world article from 10/23/13: Microsoft Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 benchmarks and hands-on | PCWorld

Unless this is the Magenta with different lighting.

Red is what I think a lot of people are looking for not pink.

Last edited:

oion

The red touch cover is in the PC world article from 10/23/13: Microsoft Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 benchmarks and hands-on | PCWorld

Unless this is the Magenta with different lighting.

Red is what I think a lot of people are looking for not pink.

Those are Type covers (not Touch), and you're right, that DOES look red in the photo. But that also looks non-white-balanced incandescent lighting or something, and I'm very much betting the photo wasn't color corrected, as all the footage and photographs we've seen thus far were only from the launch event in the pell-mell and probably some "artistic" lighting going on. The official images supplied by Microsoft for their website indicate no red Type. And looking at the images posted by other sources at the launch event, with better "white" lighting, it does look magenta. Personally, yes, I agree they should've gotten rid of the magenta for red.

And I suspect my feeling about the new Type may mirror that of the author's--that it'll be a step backwards in tactility--but we'll see....