What's new

Typing in landscape mode

vsherry

Hi, I'm new to the Surface community, having purchased my unit on Black Friday. I'm coming from an Onda V989. Does anyone find that the size of the tablet makes it all but impossible to type comfortably in landscape mode? I can manage it a bit better in portrait mode, but it's still harder than what I'm used to.

Now that I have one, I barely use it without the type cover, however.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I could probably count on one hand the number if times I have used portrait mode on any tablet aside from stupid apps that only work in portrait. I have or had iPad, Galaxy Note 10.1, Asus Transformer, Kindle Fire 8.9, Surface RT/2/SP3.

Maybe its what your used to IDK. Portrait to me is completely unnatural. Ok, its not a phone and your not going to work with your thumbs, although I'm sure a few of you do. :)

Our experiences are often colored by our biases. Describe how you use it. Think about how it might work differently.

OP
V

vsherry

I used to switch modes frequently. I always liked that I had bigger keys in landscape mode, which made me reason I'd be less prone to errors. But I can't really reach keys with my thumbs in landscape mode on the Surface. I have to use my index finger to hit the keys individually, which I don't like. So I just use it in portrait mode because all the keys are easier to reach.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried the other keyboard layout? in the lower right there's a key with keyboard on it and an arrow below.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO the whole Tablet experience is much better in landscape mode, more like a laptop than a phone or eReader and much better for productivity and web usage in landscape.

OP
V

vsherry

I am trying the other keyboard now. I find it incredibly awkward.

I guess I'll just stick with portrait mode.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, I'm new to the Surface community, having purchased my unit on Black Friday. I'm coming from an Onda V989. Does anyone find that the size of the tablet makes it all but impossible to type comfortably in landscape mode? I can manage it a bit better in portrait mode, but it's still harder than what I'm used to.

Now that I have one, I barely use it without the type cover, however.
I type in landscape mode all of time using the default keyboard layout with the kickstand at the 170 degree position or laying flat on my lap while couch surfing. If in portrait I use the thumb keyboard. I use portrait for reading and editing Documents all the time...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I came from a nexus 10. There is almost zero variance in my typing speed between my dinovo edge and the onscreen keyboard. Have absolutely no issue, but only as a result of a few years spent learning to type on an on-screen keyboard. Conversely, i cannot type in portrait to save my life. Bevause of this i have never once used any tablet in portrait, the whole "same size as a legal pad" notion of the sp3 is irrelevant to me, i'm used to a landscape screen, everything i do is therefore landscape.

Last edited: