What's new

UK Excitement building - shipping date 12th Nov

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apologies for my posts in this thread being a bit London centric, but I found out today another department store will be selling the SP4 tomorrow,
I was working in Harrods today and found out they will be selling the 4GB and 8GB i5 models tomorrow, it might be worth a trip there if John Lewis don't have any stock.
Hmmm decisions decisions, I'd kinda made up my mind I only need the 4GB i5, now I'm not sure whether to overspec my needs and go for the 8GB model.

What're your needs? Unless VM, CAD, video editing etc, then 4gb is still more than plenty. When i bought my SP3 everyone was shouting saying RAM RAM RAM you'll need it, especially when win 10 comes out, and berating me for suggesting to people that 4gb would suffice. I'm still on 4gb, on windows 10, and everything is just great. With the Sp4 I imagine it will be even better given the increased speed of the SSD.

Just received my notification too. interesting to see that on the UPS site it shows as only a label printed and not as shipped but at least it shows the ball has started rolling. So excited!!

I seem to recall that with the Sp3, the tracking was almost retrospective.

stammie

Right now everything I do works well with 4GB RAM,
as well as a mobile device I also want the SP4 to replace some maybe all of my ageing and increasingly noisy desktops work.
This will be a pretty major investment for me and I know I could probably buy a better laptop and build a better desktop for less but I don't like laptops, I think the SP4's size and weight is the upper limit for my personal tastes for mobile computing and I think the low wattage and TDP may be worth a sacrifice or two for something that should fulfill my desktop needs, if all works to plan this will probably be my last major tech purchase for a year or two so I'm wondering if the extra couple of hundred quid for the 8GB model might be worth the investment for a bit of future proofing

EDIT:
Meant to include a quote from hughile for that answer

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Future proofing is always a tricky one. However the way i see it is that win 10 clearly works just great on 4gb of ram, and unless you perceive a drastic change in your computing needs, then 4gb will still be ample (and again, this ssd is hugely faster than the sp3 so paging files are of even greater benefit).

Naturally i can't answer for you, but as a point of reference, I spent the summer with my parents over in somerset, and couldn't take my computer with me on a train along with everything else, so decided that my Sp3 would have to do for the whole summer. Granted i bought an xbox one because gaming on the sp3 is not it's forte, but for 5 months I had the SP3 plugged into an HDTV, along with a dinovo edge, and as an HTPC and general use computer for home needs, it was flawless. I then bought a 4tb external hdd, and once that was plugged in it really left me wondering why i ever had a home pc in the first place (other than for gaming). I game less and less, and havn't ran a game on my pc since may, and it really makes me contemplate doing the same thing and just buying a NAS for storage. Why have a power hungry pc to play movies etc, when you could just take the surface out of a bag where it is doing nothinng and plug in and away you go. Over time i'm sure that the power discrepancy between a mid-level gaming htpc and the surface will be significant.

OP
H

Hovesteve

Just checked UPS tracking, my SP4 and pen tip set are out for delivery :) Depot is about 8 miles away, I can't wait....

No sign of my light blue keyboard though :(, money not even taken off card, although MS website has it shipping today. I read somewhere that all the light blue keyboards in the states had been withdrawn from the MS shops..

stammie

Just to let anyone heading off to Oxford Street know, John Lewis only have the i5 4GB model in stock along with a selection of typecovers.
The SP4 has a 2 year warranty from them so no free 5 years like their TV's.
As the first person to buy a SP4 there they wanted to take my picture for publicity purposes but I politely declined that offer :)

Mark W

Received my surface pro 4 i5 8gb 256 ssd at 8:50am this morning via UPS- all going well so far but had to apply the wifi reg hack fix to resolve slow wifi.

*update- fan has not kicked in once yet despite downloading windows updates, app installs, one drive sync, steam installs and symantec cloud endpoint security agent :)

Performance feels quicker than surface pro 3 - most likely from increased sdd speed (pci3) and skylake cpu

100% battery life currently reports 8 hours remaining despite all of the activity going on but this may change

Display is much crisper and vibrant - didn't think this would be possible when comparing with surface pro 3

Last edited:

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just received my package of my replacement typecover. I haven't tried it yet but just by looking I'm thinking ...wow that's such an improvement! Weirdly though I haven't even had a shipping notification for my new pen which I ordered earlier.

Afy

Just to let anyone heading off to Oxford Street know, John Lewis only have the i5 4GB model in stock along with a selection of typecovers.
The SP4 has a 2 year warranty from them so no free 5 years like their TV's.
As the first person to buy a SP4 there they wanted to take my picture for publicity purposes but I politely declined that offer :)
Congratulations on being patient #1 at JL to buy the SP4.
Pity they only have the 4 GB model. I guess I will wait it out until I actually have something else to do in the area. Or until the 10th of Dec when the i7 models become available. :(

Welshy

Package of my sp4 and type cover have arrived. My wife sent me a photo of them and I'm in work. More waiting until I get home lol.

barry.pearson

My SP4 is available to collect now from Currys PC World, but I'm starting to have second thoughts about upgrading from my SP3. Most of the threads here to seem to be somewhat negative in regards to the SP4 performance.