What's new

UK-US Warranty is a farce....

AllTaken

I've repeated what Microsoft have told me to other members and that is Microsoft will replace your device with another but it is the region in which you need support.

Makes sense?

I today phoned to get support with my US surface in the UK. I have a faulty power adaptor, no problem Microsoft support say, i'll send a replacement. Fantastic.

Oh, it appears that the device can be changed to a UK model if the Surface if faulty, the power adapter can not!!!???

Crazy - The agent was just as baffled. They offered one for £79.99. Even though I have warranty and the warranty is international.

Anyone else had this issue? Did you get it resolved?

'Update' - They can replace the pen, keyboard even the dock and the docks power supply.

If you replace your surface out of region you get a straight swap e.g UK surface in exchange for US Surface - no accessories. If you then had a faulty power supply the system is not smart enough to realise you still have a US power supply and will allow the agent to ship it without the £79.99 charge.

Daft sods.

Last edited:

raqball

I don't think I'd call the warranty a farce.. That's strong words!

Maybe escalate the matter to a supervisor as I'm sure there must be a way to override the system..

I hope it gets resolved for you.

OP
A

AllTaken

Sadly they have no way to circumvent this setup, replacements are pre selected through the system, and the system says no. It's bad form that one of the largest companies in the world is so rigid and unprepared to alter poor practice.

I think my language was spot on, if they would not replace a dock power adapter out of region also then perhaps it's consistent?, bad policy but at least consistent. The fact that they will replace a dock power supply means that there is no sense in this policy. It seems an error, but not one they will correct - farce.

They will send a pen, they will not send the essential power supply to make the surface work....

raqball

Just a silly question but since you have a US power supply how were you using it in the UK before determining it was faulty? An adapter or something?

If so, can't you just get another US power supply as the replacement and keep using the adapter?

I'm just curious is all. I agree they should be able to send you a UK one..

OP
A

AllTaken

Just a silly question but since you have a US power supply how were you using it in the UK before determining it was faulty? An adapter or something?

If so, can't you just get another US power supply as the replacement and keep using the adapter?

I'm just curious is all. I agree they should be able to send you a UK one..

I was using a 3 plug UK lead that joined onto the power 'brick' just as the US lead did. I could get another one sent by Microsoft at the cost of £79.99. It's just the principle. They want to send one but the system says no, and that's Microsoft policy.