What's new

Umm, I just didn't like it :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchellvii

Ok, I'm a bit perplexed right now. I was an early adopter of the Surface Pro. Everything I said I wished that hybrid was, the Surface Pro 3 is. Bigger better screen, wider aspect ratio, paper pad sized, adjustable kickstand, better pen. Check the list, on paper they had designed my dream machine.

I went to Bestbuy today WANTING to LOVE this device. And I just didn't (I'm not trolling, I'm just frustrated):

1) I know it is just personal preference, but I like black computers. This silver color looks feminine to me.
2) The edges are too sharp. It doesn't feel comfortable in my hands when using it as a tablet.
3) Damn this thing is big to be used as a tablet. Didn't think I would think so but after using a Tab S 8.4 the last month it seems downright huge. Not sure I would enjoy sitting on the sofa holding this for a long time.
4) The texture of the back may be premium - to me it just doesn't "feel premium". Say what you what you want about Samsung's "soft feel" plastic - it does feel soft. The SP3 just felt hard and rigid.
5) Speaking of the Tab S, I'm afraid I've been spoiled by the super amoled screen. As good as the Surface Pro 3 screen is, it looked washed out to me. Damn you super amoled for ruining lcd for me!
6) The keyboard REALLY bounces when I type and the keys feel very plasticy. Right now I'm typing this message on an Acer R7 572 which has (almost) all of the benefits of the SP3 only bigger and heavier. And much much more solid. The SP3 just felt flimsy to me and kind of looked flimsy too.
7) When I write on the screen there was pooling under my pen tip. That reminded me just how paper thin the glass is on this (plus the reports of spontaneous fracturing) . My Acer R7 never pools beneath the pen. Nothing wrong with pooling, just makes me nervous I'm damaging it.

So anyway, I'm perplexed. I would be making sacrifices in screen real estate to go from my R7 to the SP3 and giving up a very solid full sized keyboard. I was fully ready to make those sacrifices and went to Bestbuy ready to buy - but I left the store without the SP3 feeling very confused.

Is my R7 + Tab S a better combination for me than the SP3 alone? 2 things which do what they do better than the SP3 or one thing that does everything if not as well? It's hard walking away from something you were SURE you wanted.

Can anyone talk me into it? Maybe someone coming from a similar situation to mine and how you found it was better? I'm sure the colors will look better once I can dial down the gamma a bit. I just don't know how to proceed.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Wish it came in black. That would help. I think they light color is part of what makes it look flimsy to me.

ipaq_101

I am going to monitor this thread, if it starts getting out of control as other similar threads, it will be shutdown.

Keep it civil.

kristalsoldier

I am going to monitor this thread, if it starts getting out of control as other similar threads, it will be shutdown.

Keep it civil.

I don't mean to second-guess or question your admin role, but can I ask what is it about this thread - as it currently stands - that led you to post this?

ipaq_101

Was I being uncivilized? If so that was not my intention.

I wasn't referring to you or anyone in particular. In the last week I have seen an increasing number of such threads and they get out of control rather quickly, so hoping it doesn't happen yet again.

ipaq_101

I don't mean to second-guess or question your admin role, but can I ask what is it about this thread - as it currently stands - that led you to post this?

Sometimes you don't see what goes on behind the scenes, pm's that result from threads like this between users and to mods, etc.

I just want to make sure people have a legitimate discussion before it turns into endless back and forth.

Liam2349

I agree with the color - I certainly would prefer the device in black.

I have an SP2 with a black Type Cover 2. However, since the SP3 is silver, I've opted for a blue cover.

I would prefer to be black and black again though.

vancamp

There have been satisfied posts by folks who have used the Sticker Boy add on textures. The feel and color of the back could be easily modified that way. I would also like black, and have considered the Sticker Boy black "leather" just for the back, but haven't gone there yet.

I think as is it is" premium" and will feel that way, even if not exactly as desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.