What's new

ummm... oops I just bought one i5 Surface pro

Plantje

Haha! I really recognize that! My company's i5 is flowing air out of the vents constantly while my personal i5 Surface Pro is quiet! Pity though, that I am not allowed to replace my company's machine with my personal machine (yet).

I agree that you will most likely be good to go with the Surface Pro 2017. I am very happy with it! It is so much faster charged than my Surface 3! Things I expect for the next gen SP: next CPU,USB C (Thunderbolt), even flatter and lighter.
I heard the next SP will be a huge overhaul, but I can't think of what the big overhaul would entail...

BubbaUK

Ooh, a big overhaul? Now I'm hesitant to go for the Spro 2017....

I suppose I should wait for the announcement, if I don't like what I see then I can snap the 2017 up quickly, they seem to have stock (or they wouldn't be so heavily discounting).

BubbaUK

I'm not in any rush, other than the very good current discount, so I'll wait for the announcement in a few weeks.

If Microsoft have removed the discount by then, that'll be their loss, as I won't upgrade.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I big design overhaul... I'd be interested to see what they do, the design of the current models is a very strong point, (the hinge, the keyboard which is just superb and I've happily typed on it without ever wanting a "normal" keyboard for 4 + years).

There can't be that much they can do that differently ... without making it more like an ipad (which would be a bad thing in my book) or encountering other teething problems, Maybe bezel-less display (though that would make handling the device much more awkward). USB-C, I'm not that bothered about. I have a phone with USB-C but nothing else currently - though I realise it is the natural progression and not having to turn the plug around EVERY SINGLE TIME is a blessing!!!

Plantje

What could be a big overhaul (note: I have absolutely NO indication this will be the case) is a merger of the Surface Pro and Surface Book. Meaning: you can buy a Surface Pro 12.2" and you can buy a type cover, but the SP will look a little bit more like the Surface Book tablet part and you can buy an SB dock for your SP.
That could entail you have the option to use your SP more like a laptop one moment and more like a tablet another moment. Or you can choose what you prefer: a type cover or a keyboard dock.

If that is the case perhaps they drop the 13" SB and only have a 15" SB and a 12.2" SP/SB option

Less bezels than the SP currently has will be very hard! And for the SP the bezels are really ok. The Surface Go looks awkward, but the SP doesn't... Without the bottom bezel you can't even pull up the keyboard anymore! :)

CrippsCorner

I believe the latest rumour is a spec bump this year... and a re-design next year. Although I agree it is hard to envisage what a new version could look like! I won't be upgrading until 2021 now anyway - Sure we'll have something new to rave about by then either way :p