What's new

Unable to Access Registered Microsoft Surface Account

Lance

I had purchased a Surface RT in April for a contract employee, who logged in and set up but never actually used the tablet. I do not believe she registered a Microsoft Account. One of the option provide is to deinstall all of her registration and setup info, which I selected, and then entered my relevant info. I then went to set up a Microsoft Account, which the Surface would not allow me to do, giving the error message: Sorry, we couldn't connect to Microsoft services right now. If this problem persists, search for "network problems" on the Start screen.

So I set up the account using my MacBook, confirmed it with the email sent to me, and then went to log into the account with the Surface, but for the last four or five attempts, was given the same message. After about three hours of repeated fails I think I'm about to start using it as a very expensive skipping rock on the nearest body of water. I so do hope someone in the forum community can help.

Nuspieds

But that error message seems to indicate that it cannot connect to MS in order to validate your account info. Have you confirmed that the internet access on the Surface is working fine?

OP
L

Lance

But that error message seems to indicate that it cannot connect to MS in order to validate your account info. Have you confirmed that the internet access on the Surface is working fine?

Yes, I'm online just fine. I suspect it might have something to do with my using the 'Settings' function that wipes the hard drive clean to remove all of my contract employees data, but I'm not sure. I actually got some help from Microsoft tech, who helped me get an account set up through my Mac, but then because I'm out of the 90 day warranty he then bailed on me, before we could figure out why the Surface would not connect to an existing account.

I just went online, went to 'Store', selected an item to download, was asked to sign in, did, and then got the message: "We can't sign you in because the network isn't available. Make sure your computer is connected to the network." I just confirmed that I am still online.

This is where the Microsoft Tech got stuck last night, he went to check on something and when he came back he said he had to terminate the call because the Surface was out of its initial 90 day warranty.

Nuspieds

This is where the Microsoft Tech got stuck last night, he went to check on something and when he came back he said he had to terminate the call because the Surface was out of its initial 90 day warranty.
That's a bummer, although I do understand it from their point-of-view: Change of ownership does not reset the warranty.

Anyway, if the machine is that important and you haven't found a resolution/workaround online and you really do want it registered, then you should consider paying for a per-incident support call (assuming MS offers this).

OP
L

Lance

Actually, it has never changed ownership, I only loaned it to the contract employee so she could use it in a presentation for me. The per incident fee is $99, which is more than a fourth of the value of a new one, now that the price has been reduced. Basically, it is essentially new, but never used except for the contract employees initial log in. I'm thinking to return it to Microsoft under the hardware warranty, as it is not registering at their website.

One workaround is for me to upload using the USB port the images and videos that I had wanted to use it for as a display, but the USB Flash Drives, which have content from my Mac, are not showing, or I don't know how to locate them. Any suggestions?

Nuspieds

I'm confused.

If there is no change of ownership and you purchased it in April 2013, how come you didn't register it with MS back then? Network issue or not, because it was under warranty, then for sure the MS Support representative would have helped you get the device registered.

Not being able to access the USB port is especially odd. However, as you are in a reinstall mode, try doing a device refresh, which would refresh the device to an initial state and start the setup all over again.

cali

Welcome to the site. Hope you are able to get this worked out without having to return the device.