What's new

Unable to Check for or get updates?

Garry9600

I got my sp3 around the end of June. It seemed to be working quite well right out of the box, but after checking for and installing recommended updates, I started having WiFi dropout and screen freezing problems. So I did a recovery (refresh) and have only experienced a few glitches since. However, now the option to check for updates has disappeared when using the "Update and Recovery" charm (is that the right word?). The only update it shows as available is from May 28th?? I can get to "check for updates" via the control panel, but it only shows the May update also. Obviously there are more updates now - especially the recent important ones in July.

Does anyone know if I have to install the May update before subsequent updates show as available? Or does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you very much - I'm a total newbie when it comes to Surface products and Windows 8.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Why don't you install the update and see what happens? If all else fails, then you could always refresh the device since it is relatively new.

OP
G

Garry9600

Why don't you install the update and see what happens? If all else fails, then you could always refresh the device since it is relatively new.

Thanks - I was going to try that anyway, but I was afraid my sp3 might go back to the problems I was having after the first update. Anyway, I installed the May update again this morning and suddenly all the subsequent updates were available. I've brought everything up to date and I've been using my sp3 for about 3 hours without a single glitch .... so this is great! All pretty simple really - now I feel a bit silly about not trying this sooner ... but I'm happy!