What's new

Unable to connect to wifi

Nackers

HI all, my wifi has stop working on my SP2.. It's been working fine for the last 4 months but yesterday it just stop working.. It can see the different connections but wont connect to any, I've tried to connect to 5 different hot spots including my windows 8 phone internet sharing, but keeps saying unable to connect.. I've tried everything I can think of, including doing a full refresh/recovery to factory setting.. My desktop and windows 8 phone connect to my wifi router. Any help/ideas will be awesome.. Thanks Heaps for your help

Last edited:

GoodBytes

I had this issue once. Shutdown the system. Wait several seconds for teh system to really turn off. You can check by hitting the window button on the device. It should not provide a feedback when you hit it.
Then, press and hold the Vol Up button and power button continuously, the device will turn on, keep holding, go to the UEFI screen, still keep holding, then turn off. Now you can let go.
Now, turn it on normally via the power button, and wait until the screen turns on, and goes into Windows.

You should be able to now connect to your network.

Let me know if it works for you.

OP
N

Nackers

Hi Thanks for your input, I've tried the vol up and power with no luck... Bummer.. I've phoned microsoft and it's a hardware problem, so I'm getting a replacement, thank god for warranties.. Thanks Heaps everybody..

Last edited:

kozak79

I had this issue one week after getting my SP2. After multiple hard resets and a windows reinstall, microsoft sent me a new unit. After a reinstall, it couldn't connect to any wireless network and I couldn't even log in.

bluegrass

My wifi quit working about a week ago after having worked since I purchased it last September. I went into a Microsoft store and had a tech look at it. It turned out that some malware had gotten installed that was causing it. I try to stay alert when I download anything off the Internet but this one got by me somehow. Be sure if you download anything to watch out for stuff that automatically downloads and installs unless you answer no to questions that popup. The Internet is d friggin' dangerous place these days.

leeshor

Unfortunately it isn't necessary to download ANYTHING to get an infection. Simply clicking on a link in a search result can take you to a WEB site that will infect you in the background using Java Script. It can happen much more easily with IE than with any other browser. There is actually a reason for that, not just saying it to knock IE but it is the only browser that will allow a WEB site to communicate with your computer by default. But that's a whole nother story.

GoodBytes

Unfortunately it isn't necessary to download ANYTHING to get an infection. Simply clicking on a link in a search result can take you to a WEB site that will infect you in the background using Java Script. It can happen much more easily with IE than with any other browser. There is actually a reason for that, not just saying it to knock IE but it is the only browser that will allow a WEB site to communicate with your computer by default. But that's a whole nother story.

But don't need to pass through UAC to provide elevation to the malware to infect you you? Well it could run and delete your documents and other personal information, but I am talking about his case/type of infection he had?
I know that UAC is not a security system, but adds a wall, which I believe hasn't been by-passed yet without previously by-passing it. Meaning that unless bluegrass accidentally allowed the malware elevated credentials, it can't infect the system the way it did to his system.

The above also assumes that Windows APIs requires elevation for turning off or disconnecting wireless/wired connection.

leeshor

You are correct, UAC adds a wall but is little or no protection for some of the malware out there that comes from browsing to a vector site. It may or may not pop up for approval, I'm not talking about an actual program that is a virus but more of an applet that is malware. There are some that can get through unless you are using a restricted account and even then there is no guarantee.