What's new

Unable to install Aps

Jane

Thrilled to have a new Surface but I cannot download the apps. When I click on "install" it waits a few minutes and then says "unable to install try again or cancel. When I click off everything the "Device set up dialogue box" is revealed. "Installing device. Please wait while set up installs the necessary files on your system, this may take a few minutes" It has been 24 hours and the same small amount of it has been installed on the "bar". Please help. I have tried this multiple times over the past few days with the same result. I have tried installing Skype and a few others from the App store.

OP
J

Jane

as dumb as this sounds, I can't seem to figure out how to restart it without holding down the power button.

TrentonT

swipe from the right side of the screen to open the Charms bar > tap the Power Icon > select Shut Down or Restart, Have a Merry Christmas

OP
J

Jane

Thanks Bosamar. I guess I was so excited to receive it (for Christmas) that I thought I could "wing it'.

TrentonT

Your welcome new systems are over whelming at first. Relax and ask questions that is the purpose of this forum. At the beginning I to was lost in the wilderness.

Sin

You can definitely wing it, but something take a little discovery to find since the interface changed with Windows 8. Like all previous changes to the interface, Windows 8 and touch will be second nature in no time. The touch is already getting me, since I'm running Windows 8 on multiple machines at home I keep trying to hit things on the screen of my old non-touch netbook. Really want to switch out the screen for a touch screen.

gpstrucker

You can definitely wing it, but something take a little discovery to find since the interface changed with Windows 8. Like all previous changes to the interface, Windows 8 and touch will be second nature in no time. The touch is already getting me, since I'm running Windows 8 on multiple machines at home I keep trying to hit things on the screen of my old non-touch netbook. Really want to switch out the screen for a touch screen.

LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this.

Sin

It does become habit pretty quickly. At least work is still on Windows 7, so my work laptop looks different enough to keep me from tapping the screen, but my netbook and my wife laptop have been getting the screens clean frequently.