What's new

Unbelievably Bad Warranty Repair Experience

robt

Long time lurker here. I wish it was under better circumstances. First off, let me say I have been a user of Microsoft products since 1986 and while suffering through numerous blue screens of death etc, I have generally been very satisfied.

I purchased my Surface Pro 4 in Sept of last year. I also own a Surface Pro (first version). After suffering through a series of software related issues and subsequent software revisions, the unit settled down and has operated without flaw. Last month, I started to notice some hang-ups with the touch screen i.e. the screen embedded in the s i.e. the on embedded. At first it was a couple of stubborn keys that required a couple of taps to register but in a couple of days the problem impacted the center of the device. I performed a complete reset but to no avail. I then called MS Support and after an hour of trouble shooting via remote access, the tech determined it was a hardware problem and said they would replace the unit. I had to give him my credit card so they had a means to collect in the event I didn't return the old unit. Totally fair in my opinion.

I received a new unit and sent the old one back to Microsoft. The unit was received by MS and I didn't hear anything from them at all. Two days ago while getting ready to pay my credit card bill, I noticed I was charged for the replacement unit. I called up Microsoft via the tech support line which was still active i.e. free and I asked what was going on. I was told that the screen was cracked and there was a dent on the corner of the unit and it was not covered by warranty and therefore the charge. Mind you they charged me full price for the unit minus the pen etc.

Well, needless to say, I was upset because when I shipped it in their box the screen was intact and there was no "dent". With that call, I was referred to their escalation dept. I was then contacted via email by a person know as " Max" who again reiterated that the screen was damaged but provided no further remedy except I could call tech support again.

When I attempted to contract support again the next day I found out that my original unit (returned) was no longer in warranty and I would have to pay 99 dollars to talk to someone about the problem. I wrote "Max" stating that I was never told the suspected damage, at no time was I provided any proof of the cracked screen or dent and had I known that I was going to be charged full price for a replacement unit, I would have purchased a new one with a full warranty i.e. the warranty on my replacement unit (which I paid full price for) expired at the same time as the first unit.

With no response forthcoming form "Max" I spent $99 to call tech support again (what a dope I am) . I politely explained my problem and I was assured that "Max" would contact me by phone.

3 hours later I received another email from "Max" indicated that the previous explanation of a cracked screen was in error that it was now a problem with the charging port and MS was not responsible. Max told me that it was impossible to return my old unit as they " are automatically chunked and sent to scrap". At the minimum. I felt that since I was being charged full price for a replacement unit I should get my old unit back and the new unit should come with a current warranty. I then informed "Max" via email that I would like a return authorization for the replacement unit and full credit upon receipt. I stated I would pay for the shipment. To date, I have no response.

So right now I'm at a loss on how to rectify this situation short of filing a dispute with my credit card company. Any advice would be appreciated. rob

OP
R

robt

Jeff, Thanks, I'll try anything I'd like to escalate it higher but I'll go broke trying to talk to someone at Microsoft. I spent $99.00 last night only to discuss the issue for 5 mins only to be told that someone would call me, which didn't happen. I'll try the store next, it is 40 miles away but I'll give that a try. I guess what frustrates me the most is not the denial of the warranty claim but the fact that they charged me for a brand new unit, didn't explain until I questioned the charge and sent me one without a warranty even though I paid full price and then refuse to discuss it farther. In hindsight I wouldn't bothered with talking to MS, I would have just bought a brand new one from the start.

Philtastic

Yeah, social media is the way to go these days to circumvent the outdated and non-responsive support routes of the past. There's actually some incentive for a company to prevent horror stories from regularly appearing on their official and public media pages. I had a hardware problem with my 2-month old Beyerdynamic MMX 300 headset and emailed 7 different people in the company with no response. Finally, I messaged their official Facebook threatening to post about my horrible experience and, boom, got a reply that same day which led to a warranty replacement where they paid for my shipping... twice because the replacement unit also had a hardware issue.

You should try to get that $99 back as well since that's the first time in recent years that I've heard of a support line charging for service, let alone that much just for a phone call.

OP
R

robt

Philtastic, I felt like an idiot paying $99 but I figured if I could resolve this it was worth it but it was a flat waste of money. Like I said, it is one thing to deny my warranty claim but another to charge me full price for an identical unit, keep the old one, and don't provide a warranty on the new one despite me paying full price for it. So now I'm out $3000+ for one Surface Pro. I frankly can't believe it. So the next step is to go to my credit card company.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Long time lurker here. I wish it was under better circumstances. First off, let me say I have been a user of Microsoft products since 1986 and while suffering through numerous blue screens of death etc, I have generally been very satisfied.

I purchased my Surface Pro 4 in Sept of last year. I also own a Surface Pro (first version). After suffering through a series of software related issues and subsequent software revisions, the unit settled down and has operated without flaw. Last month, I started to notice some hang-ups with the touch screen i.e. the screen embedded in the s i.e. the on embedded. At first it was a couple of stubborn keys that required a couple of taps to register but in a couple of days the problem impacted the center of the device. I performed a complete reset but to no avail. I then called MS Support and after an hour of trouble shooting via remote access, the tech determined it was a hardware problem and said they would replace the unit. I had to give him my credit card so they had a means to collect in the event I didn't return the old unit. Totally fair in my opinion.

I received a new unit and sent the old one back to Microsoft. The unit was received by MS and I didn't hear anything from them at all. Two days ago while getting ready to pay my credit card bill, I noticed I was charged for the replacement unit. I called up Microsoft via the tech support line which was still active i.e. free and I asked what was going on. I was told that the screen was cracked and there was a dent on the corner of the unit and it was not covered by warranty and therefore the charge. Mind you they charged me full price for the unit minus the pen etc.

Well, needless to say, I was upset because when I shipped it in their box the screen was intact and there was no "dent". With that call, I was referred to their escalation dept. I was then contacted via email by a person know as " Max" who again reiterated that the screen was damaged but provided no further remedy except I could call tech support again.

When I attempted to contract support again the next day I found out that my original unit (returned) was no longer in warranty and I would have to pay 99 dollars to talk to someone about the problem. I wrote "Max" stating that I was never told the suspected damage, at no time was I provided any proof of the cracked screen or dent and had I known that I was going to be charged full price for a replacement unit, I would have purchased a new one with a full warranty i.e. the warranty on my replacement unit (which I paid full price for) expired at the same time as the first unit.

With no response forthcoming form "Max" I spent $99 to call tech support again (what a dope I am) . I politely explained my problem and I was assured that "Max" would contact me by phone.

3 hours later I received another email from "Max" indicated that the previous explanation of a cracked screen was in error that it was now a problem with the charging port and MS was not responsible. Max told me that it was impossible to return my old unit as they " are automatically chunked and sent to scrap". At the minimum. I felt that since I was being charged full price for a replacement unit I should get my old unit back and the new unit should come with a current warranty. I then informed "Max" via email that I would like a return authorization for the replacement unit and full credit upon receipt. I stated I would pay for the shipment. To date, I have no response.

So right now I'm at a loss on how to rectify this situation short of filing a dispute with my credit card company. Any advice would be appreciated. rob

I hate to say the number of times I have seen this same story play out... returned unit, cracked screen.
If I was cynical I might say someone there is dinging units or it's a complete scam. Unfortunately there's no way to prove this... well there is but it involves an elaborate sting operation.

Any one retuning a unit should pack it to be indestructible, insure it for the full value and get the shipper to annotate on the paperwork it was received in good condition with no dents or scratches and the screen is not cracked. Include a copy of a photo.

Damage in shipment should be the responsibility of the shipping company.

OP
R

robt

I don't disagree with you regarding the shipping.I packed in in MS supplied box and I agree I should have taken detailed photos but I thought I was dealing with a reputable company. That said, after claiming the screen was cracked and after I challenged, MS backtracked and said the problem was now with a a damaged charging port and stated that it could not have happened in shipping.

awwshoot

I highly recommend that you fully document with pictures any product before you ship it so you have proof what condition the item is in before it left your hands! Especially anything going to Microsoft!!!

Microsoft is not as carful with our items as they would like to say they are and will blame everyone else they can until all avenues are closed.

Case in point, picked up our first XBOX One in 2014. Later that year the video output failed so I had to send it in for repairs. Our XBOX still looked new which was hard with the early "Glossy" ones. When I received it back there was a long razor blade cut all the way across the top and one if not 2 sides, It also had a crushed corner showing it was also dropped!

I spent weeks arguing with Microsoft that this was unacceptable and that the damage was not due to the shipper or myself on return. I had the shipping box to show that the damage was not done during shipping since there was no damage to the box itself. They still argued that it "MUST" have happened during shipping.

In the end they replaced my XBOX and I was finally able to play again 2 months after the original failure date!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't disagree with you regarding the shipping.I packed in in MS supplied box and I agree I should have taken detailed photos but I thought I was dealing with a reputable company. That said, after claiming the screen was cracked and after I challenged, MS backtracked and said the problem was now with a a damaged charging port and stated that it could not have happened in shipping.
Point of clarification: The MS Supplied box I assume being the box it's packaged in is not a shipping box, this is a store shelf display box which needs to be put inside a bigger heavier box with packing material around all sides. The flimsy display box would never withstand shifting cargo in a truck or plane where it could be easily crushed between heavier items.

OP
R

robt

No, The box I sent it back in was not the original box i.e. a display box. It was the box MS shipped my replacement in and instructed me to ship the defective unit back. BTW when I received my first Surface Pro 4 *the tablet in question) , it came in the display box packed in another box without any other packing material and the box had split open at the bottom i.e. only the UPS driver prevented it from falling out onto the pavement.

I hate to say the number of times I have seen this same story play out... returned unit, cracked screen.
If I was cynical I might say someone there is dinging units or it's a complete scam. Unfortunately there's no way to prove this... well there is but it involves an elaborate sting operation.

Any one retuning a unit should pack it to be indestructible, insure it for the full value and get the shipper to annotate on the paperwork it was received in good condition with no dents or scratches and the screen is not cracked. Include a copy of a photo.

Damage in shipment should be the responsibility of the shipping company.

The "before" photos are key, critical. I do this any time I ship any electronics (computers, televisions, monitors) I've sold on eBay. Went through the above fire drill last year with a 51" Samsung I shipped FedEx that got completely demolished by their handling, took three months, multiple phone calls and e-mails to get my money back.

The pictures and pick up your phone and dispute, cancel all the CC charges.