What's new

Undervolt?

OP
C

cvc988

I actually can't get mine to be stable at all. Keeps rebooting and reverting the setting to stock. Im at -20mv right now and we will see

Seneleron

Im trying this now. After rebooting, my cpu is at 85C, that is insane.

This is weird, it seems when UV, any time the PC sleeps, it winds up rebooting. Any ideas?

You have other problems here. Mine doesn't get that hot running hearthstone.

I'd start by seeing if you something ramping up your CPU:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323527

I'd also disable indexing and windows search:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-permanently-disable-search-indexing-in-windows-8/

These run in the background and cause intermittent disk access, which for some reason drives modern intel CPUs nuts on heat.

If you can't find anything in task manager and/or disabling indexing and search don't help, I'd say it's a defective unit and advise an immediate exchange. If you DO find something in task manager, take it back to place of purchase, and if they can't resolve it, exchange.

OP
C

cvc988

I'll do what you said but this isn't a defective unit. It is my second one and they both act exactly the same.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did some searching around on Undervolting and there appears to be a lot of undervolting going on with all sorts of devices... MacBook Air's ThinkPads, NUC computers, of course the Overclockers, even undervolting phones.

This seems like a genuine Internet Meme although there may be something to it, YourMilageMayVary or it may reboot. :)
It's Important to be sure you can get back to a safe configuration in case it turns ugly.

In the mean time I experimented a bit with enhanced cooling... I believe there may be a market with gamers and others for a cooling case... shoot if MikeGyver can sell a battery pack for nearly $500 I think I can turn a few bucks on cooling. :)

OP
C

cvc988

right now search indexer is using 0% cpu and 20mb ram. only other thing consuming resources is chrome

be77solo

This is weird, it seems when UV, any time the PC sleeps, it winds up rebooting. Any ideas?
Do you still have Connected Standby enabled? If so, that's your problem. Others report that any XTU change causes crashes/reboots with Connected Standby enabled.

If you truly want to undervolt, disable Connected Standby and you'll be much more stable.

My i5 was stable down to -66mv with Connected Standby disabled.

OP
C

cvc988

why do you say "was" down to....? did you stop undervolting? if so, why?

where do i turn off connected standby so that when i sleep, it is just regular sleep?

be77solo

OP
C

cvc988

ok now that i came over to the dark side and turned off connected standby... im looking at the power plan options. what do you guys recommend to change there re processor, wireless, graphics power settings, etc? are any of those settings dangerous?

jollywombat

None are dangerous by any means. And they are fairly self explanatory as to what they will do. I have my power saver profile configured for 5% max speed for processor (goes by stepping, so will stay at ~800mhz), wireless to low power, intel GPU to low power, and screen brightness turned way down for the times I will need extended battery life. Other than that, the default values for balanced are fine IMO.