What's new

Undervolt?

OP
C

cvc988

Is there a special way to get the undervolt settings to stick? Are they supposed to revert after a restart? I have connected standby turned off but my settings keep reverting to stock.

Wiidesire

Is there a special way to get the undervolt settings to stick? Are they supposed to revert after a restart? I have connected standby turned off but my settings keep reverting to stock.
Interesting. You are the first one I heard of who has this problem. Did you enable Intel XTU autostart on boot up?

ctitanic

This is weird, it seems when UV, any time the PC sleeps, it winds up rebooting. Any ideas?

You have other problems here. Mine doesn't get that hot running hearthstone.

I'd start by seeing if you something ramping up your CPU:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323527

I'd also disable indexing and windows search:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-permanently-disable-search-indexing-in-windows-8/

These run in the background and cause intermittent disk access, which for some reason drives modern intel CPUs nuts on heat.

If you can't find anything in task manager and/or disabling indexing and search don't help, I'd say it's a defective unit and advise an immediate exchange. If you DO find something in task manager, take it back to place of purchase, and if they can't resolve it, exchange.

Instead of disabling the index it's better to exclude folders from the index, like the download folder if you are downloading a lot of files. Disabling index will make Apps like Music and Video to use more CPU and that will affect your SP3 performance more than the improvement that you are trying to achieve by disabling Index.

Seneleron

Disabling index will make Apps like Music and Video to use more CPU and that will affect your SP3 performance more than the improvement that you are trying to achieve by disabling Index.

I can see this with a platter HDD as potential fragmentation could increase seek times. I can't see this with an SSD. Even if it did cause increased reads, the power drain from SSD access times is so minimal you'd most likely be talking minutes or seconds.

kozak79

Anyone able to get a stable undervolt with i7? What were your settings?

I tried the following:
Turbo Boost Power Time Window: 3 seconds
Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset: -30 mV (Tried -50 and -60 as well)
Processor Cache Voltage Offset: -30 mV(Tried -50 and -60 as well)
Processor Graphics Voltage Offset: -30 mV(Tried -50 and -60 as well)

I could not get it stable. My SP3 would randomly reboot and IETU would reset everything to default.

Also, anyone know much about Turbo Boost Power Time Window? I got the 3 Seconds from the article about undervolting, but the default value in IETU is 96 Seconds, however, when it's reset to default after unexpected reboot, it's set to 0.00097656 Seconds.

ctitanic

I can see this with a platter HDD as potential fragmentation could increase seek times. I can't see this with an SSD. Even if it did cause increased reads, the power drain from SSD access times is so minimal you'd most likely be talking minutes or seconds.
Your logic also applies in the other way around. Being a SSD indexing should not cause that much of stress.

ctitanic

"2 – Disable Indexing
OK, most people agree that Indexing in XP and Vista sucks. Go ahead a disable it for XP and Vista if you desire. But for Windows 7, you know the handy, dandy Start Menu Search Box? Yup, disabling Indexing renders it useless. Configuring Indexing to suit your needs is a better option:
Type indexing in the Start Menu Search Box and choose Indexing Options (Control Panel > Indexing Options) > Click the Modify button to add or remove folders."
http://www.tweakhound.com/ssd-tweak-guide-sort-of/

And the same happens with Windows 8.1.