What's new

Update KB2862768 killed my WiFi on my SP????

Gromet

Hi everyone. Just got my 128Gb SP last Friday. Absolutely loving it so far. Made the switch from an Asus Zenbook laptop (worst keyboard I have ever used). Also got rid of a Galaxy Note 8 and a Galaxy S4 (got a Lymia 1020).

Anyway. Get home tonight and there were a few system updates. So I run the updates like normal. System reboots and my WiFi is dead. System said can't connect. Tells me it is a bad driver??? After some trouble shooting and 2 system restores I figure out it was optional "Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2862768)"

Has anyone else installed this update successfully? Should I just hide the update and ignore it?

Thanks

__Gromet

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

demandarin

Haven't had any issues since the new firmware update the other day. If anything, wifi seems improved. Have you tried rebooting or even refreshing device?

Possibly you go go into device manager and find that Marvell adapter, I believe. Then just roll back the driver to previous one. Then your wifi should be good again if other methods don't work. Good luck. Not sure what it is. I have 128gb model and update went smoothly for me.

machistmo

What exactly is going on when you try to establish a wireless connection? Can you step by step it? Can you post some screen shots?

This is esp helpful MS :

windows_symbol_clr_56x56.png
[h=1]Update for Windows 8 (KB2862768)[/h]

Change Language:
ArabicBulgarianChinese (Hong Kong SAR)Chinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFinnishFrenchGermanGreekHebrewHungarianItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianNorwegian (Bokmål)PolishPortuguese (Brazil)Portuguese (Portugal)RomanianRussianSerbian (Latin)SlovakSlovenianSpanishSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianDownload

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows.

• [h=2]Quick Details[/h]
    Version:
    Date Published:
    12/08/2013
    File Name:
    File Size:
    Windows8-RT-KB2862768-x86.msu
    7.5 MB

KB2862768

• Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

mitchellvii

In general if you have any update issues, roll back the update then select it from your update list, right click and "hide" it then don't worry about it until 8.1 is officially released.

I have noticed that MS updates must be applied in a certain order to work properly. For some odd reason that gets messed up occasionally.

Just file it under "weird" and move along.

mitchellvii

One other point. I have noticed that if you are sitting too close to the wireless source the SP can become overwhelmed and fail to connect. For instance, at times I can connect to the wifi extender at the other end of my home but get "limited" connection from the one 5 feet away. This works sometimes and not others. Again, weird. If I pop in a usb wireless receiver no problems so it is apparently and issue with the built-in (which sucks). Hopefully a software issue which will become resolved eventually.

scadarick

One other point. I have noticed that if you are sitting too close to the wireless source the SP can become overwhelmed and fail to connect. For instance, at times I can connect to the wifi extender at the other end of my home but get "limited" connection from the one 5 feet away. This works sometimes and not others. Again, weird. If I pop in a usb wireless receiver no problems so it is apparently and issue with the built-in (which sucks). Hopefully a software issue which will become resolved eventually.

I know this may be a little late, but I too started to get very slow speeds on my SP 128 as well. I am thinking of trying the roll back on the Marvell driver too. But before I was going to do it, I thought I would try a high speed Cisco USB 300 first in the only usb slot we have and Bam....it started getting 68 to 69 megs DS and 5 US. I first tried using the Asus ea-66u 3 in 1 router in extender mode, set to 24 g, but it to was slow, then tried using my 5 g directly from the rt-ac66u Asus router in my home office, clean on the other side of the house and get great speeds. I am getting what I pay for 68 down stream, 5 up stream. But with only 1 usb port, kind of would like to use it for other accessories. I have not had much time today to really get into it, but I do like the roll back idea....I should have thought about that myself, but like many others...still trying to get a handle on his tablet. Been using iPad for a couple years now. Got this SP so I would not spend so much time n the office, now I can handle just about everything my desktop win 8 pro Asus X79 deluxe home built system. First thing I did was get remote access to my other systems I have in my office, being a disabled vet...this tablet helps me a lot, really looking forward to its development. I am a TechNet subscriber, so its nice to be able to learn, keep track of new software development as well. Learning myself to write apps in the future. I wish others would talk about the WiFi problems to, I have 2 years insurance so I need to see of I need to return it for another tablet or wait and see if this problem is fixed. Knowing that the usb WiFi gets the speed I once had when I got it home with it before the updates. I know it was the updates, but not sure which one until I read the earlier post. If the usb WiFi works then its got to be a driver out of whack, hardware issue, but not really thinking that's a problem because the usb WiFi works just fine, its just when I switch to internal WiFi, its so slow and intermittent.
Well maybe I will see others post soon. I going to try the roll back and report back to the group here with my situation.

Have a great evening guys!