What's new

Updates on the RT are painfully slow

nasomi

They couldn't have thought this through very well. Every time I try to log into the store it says "failed" with some cryptic message, which I've interprated to mean it's not up to date. Would be great if they just said "update your stuff and you can connect" but no... So I update, it has been running for 2 hours now to install updates. First it went from 0-100% after it downloaded them, then installing 1 of 25, and now it's doing 1-100% again and just crawling. I updated my first surface when I got to the office this morning at 7, now I'm updating the second, and it's just taking way to long. There has to be a better way to do it. Like automatically installed updates at 3am or some stupid thing. But no, it waits until you want to do something. Then says no. Then you have to spend 2+ hours updating.

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:

leeshor

The updates have tended toward the large size on some. I would try to double check the performance of your WiFi as that could also be a problem.

emolat

How often do you update? You should check for updates at least 1 times a week.

The update "Package" that came online May 14th, consisted of 13 updates in my case incl. firmware. After it finished downloading (took abt. 2 minutes on 60Mbit) and then abt. 10 minutes to install everything. The RT restarted 2 times I think.

OP
N

nasomi

The download was nearly instant, it was the install that was taking forever. This isn't the first time, either, and it's with both of my RT's. Seems like every time I want to check the store it errors with no explanation, so I update. Why isn't there an "automatically check for updates" option on the RT? That's a serious oversight.

J515OP

Super Moderator
The download was nearly instant, it was the install that was taking forever. This isn't the first time, either, and it's with both of my RT's. Seems like every time I want to check the store it errors with no explanation, so I update. Why isn't there an "automatically check for updates" option on the RT? That's a serious oversight.

Automatic updates is actually the default behavior.

6strings

I have to say... I tried to download the update last night and got an error. I tried a couple more times and got the same error. I went to bed. In the morning I tried again and it went right through. I had no issues. I think the error was that the system was overloaded with people trying to download the update... I could be wrong .. but it worked @ 5:00 am
the automatic update is the default. I am always made aware. Check your settings and put them to automatic update. I think it will be fine.
Overall I have found my RT to be a pleasure and it works really well... updates and all. I wish you the best.

Morbius

I have been trying for a month i have a microsoft surface RT tablet it has installed a certain amount of updates but now i get nothing at all no updates what so ever im sorry i ever thought yo purchase this tablet it has been a headache every since i got it.