WP_20141008_18_00_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20141008_18_00_39_Pro.jpg
WP_20141008_18_00_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20141008_18_01_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20141008_18_01_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20141008_18_01_25_Pro.jpg
WP_20141008_18_01_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20141008_18_01_42_Pro.jpg
This is just my quick review. Received the unit about 30 min ago. Put case on, and these are just first impression and first phone camera shots. It is late here and somewhat dark. I will Retake pictures better at a later date so just bear with me here.

There is also this same review done by a different person, with the red case. Link is posted below.
http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/urban-armor-gear-red-case-quick-review-w-pics.11931/

redir

First impressions. Well first thing I did was cut the case. I cut out a little block in between air vents of the case, and slowly shoved my pen loop through. I have my pen loop on the surface pro itself. When I need the pen, I don't have the keyboard, so don't see the point in having the pen loop on the keyboard. But that said, the pen loop pushed through just fine, and as you can see, pen is where I want it and works great there.

The case itself is very solid, and the kick stand is great. The case itself pretty much covers the back, and the sides (with exception of the bottom which is only about an inch in, and then a gap left so that the keyboard can be plugged in without problem), and theres a very small lip that rounds the corner and over the front of the surface. This lip is very small, I would actually prefer a little larger.

The rubber used, is really really nice texture. Holding it like a tablet or on my palm of left hand is a pleasure. Thickness wise, it really feels and look about as thick as the orginal surface pro 1 and 2. Which for me, I actualy prefer it. The thin factor of the SP3 is 'cool', but makes it almost to thin and feels easy to break.

Now I don't think that this case will stop a crack or break if it falls. But it should help minimize it, plus really help with the fact that theres now a grip so less likely to slip from your hands, as well as eliminate any scratches. Which the 1 year with my SP1 left the back pretty scratched up, but I don't care.

So overall, really pleased. I will write a further more in depth review probably tomarrow. As well as follow up in a few weeks or so with a review on how it actualy works long term and in the field.

I hope you all enjoy. Any questions please comment. And comments please comment.

embed

OP
D

Dblkk

The big zipper pull on the corner seems to be, at first glance, a nice touch.
yes, its not a zipper zipper, lol. Its like the handle of a zipper, attached to a strechy rope. That allows you to pull it around the corner, and then over the type cover. That way when your traveling and the surface is in your bag, the type cover doesn't open and shut open and shut. This way it stays closed until you remove the elastic band.

but yes, its a very well thought out really small, nice touch.

wynand32

So, how much weight does it add (sorry if I missed it)? I don't need anything like this at the moment, but I've needed it with systems in the past. Would be nice to have such an option, thanks!

OP
D

Dblkk

So, how much weight does it add (sorry if I missed it)? I don't need anything like this at the moment, but I've needed it with systems in the past. Would be nice to have such an option, thanks!

I haven't put it on a scale yet, partly because I was in a rush to throw it on right away, and partly because I don't have a scale. I can say it does add some heft, don't know exactly but id put it on par with my SP1 and power cover. I got a glass invisashield that should be here soon, when that comes ill take the surface out of the cover and I'll try my best to get to the post office and have them weigh it.

I added the weight to my original review of the red case. Just copied and pasted here.

7. YES..... It makes the SP3 heavier, and it is noticeable, but that is the nature of the beast. I measured it weighing in at 14oz. Here are the exact weights that I weighed myself using aStamps.com scale:
SP3 Naked - 1lb 12oz
SP3 w/ Type Cover and Pen - 2lbs 7oz
SP3 w/ TC/Pen and UAG Case - 3lb 5oz

So having just the SP3and the UAG case should be about 2lbs 10oz exactly

OP
D

Dblkk

I added the weight to my original review of the red case. Just copied and pasted here.

7. YES..... It makes the SP3 heavier, and it is noticeable, but that is the nature of the beast. I measured it weighing in at 14oz. Here are the exact weights that I weighed myself using aStamps.com scale:
SP3 Naked - 1lb 12oz
SP3 w/ Type Cover and Pen - 2lbs 7oz
SP3 w/ TC/Pen and UAG Case - 3lb 5oz

So having just the SP3and the UAG case should be about 2lbs 10oz exactly
Thank you!
Not that I don't love the surface, and appreciate the weight and feel of the case. But SP3 + case + type cover = typical laptop/ultrabook

Now I'm not bashing at all. And actually appreciate the weight the case adds, as well as the thickness and padding. I don't like slim/light/'fragile' tablets. And my 'want' from the SP3 wasn't a slim light tablet. I want a durable, good feeling, secure, pen input tablet pc. I really liked the bulk of my SP1, and prefer it over the SP3, yet I so much more appreciate the 12" 3:2 screen. Now I'm in best of both worlds. If only Microsoft would release a power cover for the SP3, I would be in heaven. Not that I dislike my 6-8 hours of battery or have a problem, or would really even need the added battery. It would be more peace of mind knowing I don't even need to think about battery, the added thickness to the keyboard would be extremely welcome (again not disliking the current newly improved keyboard, I really enjoy it). Hopefully my glass screen cover is a good one that doesn't add glare or discoloration, nor affects my pen input at all. But I really do hope that Microsoft comes out with a power cover. Even with the SP4 and a BROADWELL chip and 10-12 hours of battery, id still want a power cover. Biggest daily benefit wouldn't be the need for extra battery, I think it'd be the lack of power cycles on the internal battery. Use the crap out of the power cover battery, leave internal with minor use, and I bet you could really prolong the lifecycle, even though estimated battery longevity is 5 years charging 5x week, and should stay above 80% capacity. That's a huge statement right there, one I doubt but do really hope is right.

OP
D

Dblkk

Have you had any heat issues with that case attached to your SP3?
Well, to answer this, first off. The SP3 has heat/throttling issues regardless of it being in a case or not. So things like actually rendering/producing videos/pictures, will usually run at half frequency for about half the duration of the render/produce. That said, I don't use my device for major edits. Normally just small edits and just small effects in movies typically just combining several clips into one. This also leads to slight throttling.

Perfect uses for the SP3 in my opinion, are 1 as stated above light/medium small edits or renders, office programs, or other light/medium programs.

Now, to answer your actual question. Do I have any heat issues with my case attached.

Nothing noticeable over running it naked. Rendering in Sony vegas or photo edits in Light Room might run a few degrees warmer. But no where near worth considering. And for my daily load of office software, mailbox, Spotify, web pages, ect. Temps again are within a few degrees of running the SP3 naked.

But having had/used this case for about a week, a little less actually. I can say that the weight and size, pretty much doubles that of the naked surface. Holding it as a tablet, really makes me use the kickstand more, or have some part of the tablet weighed onto something. Like if I'm in bed, make sure I have the tablet leaned against my stomach or leg or blankets. So I'm not holding the brunt of the weight alone in my hand. The thickness, its really thick. But I can't say that as a con, just a huge observation. As it being so much thicker now, and with the back being rubber with grooves in it, really helps with holding it as a tablet. No longer thin and slippery.

The kickstand, with its 5 angles, is great. I haven't found myself in a situation where one of the case angels wouldn't fit/work with how I wanted to use it. Which was my #1 concern buying this. As the surface's friction kickstand was just the best thing ever. But I can personally say, although your giving up a marvel of engineering of a kickstand, your gaining 5 usable perfectly situated angels.

I hope this answered your question. And that I didn't rant on to much. If there is something more specific you'd like o tknow please ask.

OP
D

Dblkk

Aright, well its been about 2 weeks now with using the Urban Armor Gear case. So I thought id do a quick follow up review. I know I promised a further in depth review and video review, those are still pending as its been very busy for me, but I do promise to have those up and linked on here within the months end.

So, fresh thoughts 2 weeks of owning/using the case.

Size/weight - Even though its been 2 weeks and I've accustomed myself to the added size/weight, I do miss the sleek/thin/light 'naked' SP3. The size I can easily say its like I'm using my SP1 again, yet in a 12" factor. The added back 'padding' easily adds 5mm and makes it feel just like the bulkier first gens. No complaints, just a very easily observation. The weight, most times not noticeable. As most times its used as a laptop. But as a tablet for work, I don't mind the weight as the added grip/protection more than makes up for it. Yet at home, comfortable time on couch/in bed, the weight does get to me. I do have to make sure that its propped/resting on something other than me actually holding it. But this isn't so much a big deal, as its normally propped on my lap, stomach, or blanket anyway (with or without the case).

Drop protection - haven't wanted to try this, and lucky haven't accidentally tried this yet

Covering - the fact that minus the screen, my whole SP3 is covered, I can without worry just flop it down, set it down, do whatever with it and not worry about scratching or anything else. With my SP1, at first I tried to be careful, but after a while I just did whatever I wanted/needed. And when I finally upgraded, the back of my SP1 was pretty scuffed up. Didn't bother me in a bit, but it is nice that when I do pull my SP3 out of this case for whatever reason, it should be just like brand new.

Kickstand - again, only 5 angles, but 5 perfect angles. I still haven't had a problem where the 5 provided angles/vs the unlimited of the 'naked' surface, have led to any problems

Heat - haven't noticed a difference. Still throttles when I do intensive things, and doesn't throttle when I do light tasks. Maybe a few degrees warmer, I don't know, but nothing noticeable.

Overall - still pleased, if had to make choice again, still would. Would recommend to anyone wanting an actual hard core case to their SP3. Or even SP1/2 if you buy the appropriate sized case.

Hey. Thank you for the review and update. I am seriously thinking about purchasing one. I have the black and white UAG for my Samsung Galaxy S4, and I absolutely love the thing. I do not care about the weight or thickness so much. I was worried about covering that pretty awesome kickstand and really worried about heat and throttling. I am going to be using my SP3 for web development/design.

I will have Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, multiple browsers and browser tabs open at the same time and running together. I may produce, edit and transcode minor videos for websites, but nothing major. At home, it will be used as a tablet, i.e. streaming and local audio and HD video files, Steam in-home streaming, email and web browsing.

So, I guess my main concern is throttling and heat dissipation. Other than that, it looks great. How do you think it would hold up doing what I described?

Thanks again! You post was very helpful.

Last edited: