What's new

Urban Armor Gear Black Case Review with Pics

OP
D

Dblkk

For your workload, I cant know for certain with heat. But my normal day/usage, one note (sometimes 2 open), word, pdf, few browser tabs, outlook, nextgen reader, line, and slacker/Spotify/iTunes. Sometimes a few more things, but this is my normal active/open programs throughout my day.

with those uses, haven't noticed even fan kicking on very often, let alone run higher temps. So just like 'naked' SP3.

When I use lightroom/sony vegas pro 13, it heats up and throttles just the same as it did 'naked'. Don't know exactly if its more/less than before, but id say its the same.

My honest opinion, is case might add a few degrees. That's it.

pokemonmaster

Hi, so I originally got a red one, and thought it was too bright for my taste. So I e-mailed UAG and they were cool enough with me to exchange for a black one. If you don't mind my asking, did you have trouble taking your case on and off? When I took off my red one to check for any scratches caused by the case (there were not any), and then I tried to put the case back on, I noticed the edges of the case around the front of the screen were not fitting as well as it did initially. I see in your pictures the black edges of yours covered up the edges of your screen so that none of the silver paint is exposed, but did you happen to notice the same thing I did? If so, what do you think the best and easiest way to slide the SP3 in and out of the case? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

Geek.Verve

Since you're a Pats fan, you have zero credibility and everything that comes out of your mouth is, inherently, pure jibber jabber. Go Colts!

Seriously though, nice review. It's a sweet-looking case. I would probably buy one, if only the laws of thermodynamics would change to make it possible to maintain the same level of heat dissipation as a nekkid SP3. My i7 doesn't necessarily heat up too crazy often, but when it does, it can get hot enough to take me out of my comfort zone.

johnj2803

I also have this case and I love it.

I have actually dropped it on a concrete from 2 feet high with the type cover and my pro 3 was unscathed.

I do have a question, mine didn't come with a pen loop like yours... how did that happen?

OP
D

Dblkk

I also have this case and I love it.

I have actually dropped it on a concrete from 2 feet high with the type cover and my pro 3 was unscathed.

I do have a question, mine didn't come with a pen loop like yours... how did that happen?
Yes, I see they're widely available at Best Buy now, which is great for you guys, I had to buy from manufacture themselves and wait like a month before it shipped.

I hate the fact that it makes my SP3 feel like the SP1 with weight and size, I take mine out at work to put into my dock and I have to just admire how slim/light the SP3 is. But it also feels like I can break it by just holding it, so from dock to the case it goes without a second thought.

As for the pen loop. It comes with the keyboard. I then put it on the top right corner of my SP3, then when I got my case, I had to cut the vent cutouts of the case enough to make the pen loop fit through. I never truly got why they show the pen loop on the keyboard and not the surface. I mean, I use the pen when NOT using the keyboard, seems kind of silly.

tgiannelli

I have this case too, love it, and I'm impressed with the positioning of the pen loop... nice touch.

I work in a manufacturing environment and this is a great case for the surface... the only improvement I would see in this product would be some kind of ruggedized keyboard... I've killed two keybords already from dust...:(

OP
D

Dblkk

I'm a process control engineer, and sort of a consoltant as companies hire my company to take care of programming, and all other DCS. while I may not be in the machine environment to often, the control rooms somehow aren't that clean either. Throw in its always concrete and I have to wear fire retardant clothes and gloves, my surface is never safe from drops.

As for the secondary more traditional keyboard. 2nd that by 1 million. I'd honestly spend $500 for a decent clamshell add on type. With or without battery.

Nitric

Initially interested in getting the UAG. However, the customer support could not confirm with me on the casing compatibility with my Mime Ghost Glass screen protector.

I went and bought the Trident Case Cyclops instead, which not only allows the usage of the sp3 stand but also accessibility to the MicroSD slot too.

Nevertheless, the UAG is one good solid casing for SP3.

2 photos which i already uploaded in another thread:
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG