What's new

Urban Armor Gear Red Case - Quick Review w/ Pics

URBAN ARMOR GEAR for Surface Pro 3 - Amazon
SFPRO3_RED_PT06_3000_grande.png

This is what happen's when you merge Spiderman's suit with Urban Armor. You get the most solid, robust case the world has ever seen. Seriously, this is the best looking case I have ever seen for any device in my entire life. I'm not kidding. If the red case is Spidey's suit, then it's safe to say the black case is the Venom version!

And here are the answers to your questions! How nice of me right?

1. YES..... it works with the type cover keyboard on. Actually, it's like a match made in heaven.

2. YES..... you can fold back the type cover keyboard write on the SP3 like a notebook. It actually feels even more comfortable with the Urban Armor Gear case on and keyboard folded behind it.

3. YES..... the 5 angles are almost perfect and cover almost the whole spectrum of the SP3's kickstand. The SP3's 5 viewing angles are roughly (eyeballing it) 80 degrees, 70 degrees, 60 degrees, 50 degrees, and 40 degrees.

4. YES..... the material they used is of another world... or at least of a supreme quality in my opinion. The kickstand is actually made of METAL.

5. YES..... it will will protect your SP3 from a nasty drop... At least it seems like it will. Sadly, I don't plan on testing this feature out, at least not on purpose.

6. YES..... you have access to all ports (minus the microSD slot), and the cutouts seems perfect. They even cut slots all around the case for fan ventilation.

7. YES..... It makes the SP3 heavier, and it is noticeable, but that is the nature of the beast. I measured it weighing in at 14oz. Here are the exact weights that I weighed myself using a Stamps.com scale:
SP3 Naked - 1lb 12oz
SP3 w/ Type Cover and Pen - 2lbs 7oz
SP3 w/ TC/Pen and UAG Case - 3lb 5oz

Ok now that those questions are out of the way, here is my take on the case:

I LOVE IT. POINT. BLANK. PERIOD.... Enough said right? Just kidding.

Lastly, would I buy it again is always the real question right? My answer is a huge, enormous, astounding YES. YES... and YES again!

I would even pay the full MSRP asking price, over and over again, like that Nelly and Tim McGraw song! And I did, because I purchased it directly from Urban Armor, which is how I'm able to make this review.

After all that you would have thought I bought this case for my SP3 right? WRONG! I actually bought it for my fiancee, since her favorite color is red, and she already had the red type cover, and is prone to dropping stuff, like expensive phones (cracked Galaxy Note 2) and laptops (Red Alienware m14x).

Since receiving this case, I have already placed another order via Amazon for the black version, for myself of course. I'm a big Spiderman fan, but even bigger Venom fan!

Enough rambling, I will let my pictures I do the talking.

20141007_123019_Thomas_Ridge.jpg
20141007_123027_Thomas_Ridge.jpg
20141007_123035_Thomas_Ridge.jpg
20141007_123047_Thomas_Ridge.jpg
20141007_123059_Thomas_Ridge.jpg
20141007_123200.jpg
20141007_123221_Thomas_Ridge.jpg
20141007_123236_Thomas_Ridge.jpg
20141007_123303_Thomas_Ridge.jpg
20141007_123342_Thomas_Ridge.jpg
20141007_123359_Thomas_Ridge.jpg
20141007_123410_Thomas_Ridge.jpg

Last edited:

msolok

The main issue I have with such devices is they block off a fair amount of the air vents (yes, there are some holes in it for the air vents, but there is still substantial material blocking the vents), and they cover the back of the device (which traps the heat which is meant to be released through the back in the device). In the end this will result int he device staying far warmer, unable to cool as effectively, and lead to greater thermal throttling to make up for it.
While I am sure it would be fine for things like web browsing, emails and office tasks, anything which requires more CPU or GPU grunt is likely to suffer.

Tosko

The main issue I have with such devices is they block off a fair amount of the air vents (yes, there are some holes in it for the air vents, but there is still substantial material blocking the vents), and they cover the back of the device (which traps the heat which is meant to be released through the back in the device). In the end this will result int he device staying far warmer, unable to cool as effectively, and lead to greater thermal throttling to make up for it.
While I am sure it would be fine for things like web browsing, emails and office tasks, anything which requires more CPU or GPU grunt is likely to suffer.

When I saw the pictures, this was the first thing that popped up in my mind as well.

How does it go with heating etc?

I have been using this case for the last 5-6 hours and it feels amazing to not feel any heat from my SP3 while holding it.

Also, as for your thoughts about heat dissipation, this case is superbly ventilated. The hole cutouts in the case follow the vent holes that are actually operational in the SP3.

I can tell no difference in performance, and to be honest actually think my SP3 is running cooler, since the material is absorbing the heat from the metal backing and dispersing it before it even gets warm.

That being said, I applaud Urban Armor for building and case that is above and beyond what I imagined. This is definitely one of the most, if not THE most, well crafted case I have ever seen or used, and any tablet, phone, or anything else that uses a case.

My main issue would be that even though such a case provides great protection for the back/sides of the device, it does nothing for the front (and the type cover doesn't count with it being all flimsy) - as there's no way I'd throw the SP3 in my backpack for school without also protecting the screen. I'd need to then find a carrying bag/case to put this beefier version into which for me defeats the purpose...

But it does seem great if you only ever use it around the house.

msolok

I can tell no difference in performance, and to be honest actually think my SP3 is running cooler, since the material is absorbing the heat from the metal backing and dispersing it before it even gets warm.

No offence, but it can't possibly be running cooler with that case on. The back is completely covered, meaning the passive cooling effect of the metal back is negated. Part of the cooling design of the Surface's is the metal body. The internal heat is transferred to the metal back, where fresh, cooler air helps to keep the device at reasonable temps while in use. With the back enclosed in a plastic cover, the heat gets stuck in the device and it gets much warmer.

While the device might feel cooler to you (as plastic is not as great a heat conductor as metal, and the plastic is not appropriately seated against the metal back) the devices internals will be hotter. As I said, while doing web browsing and office tasks this probably won't be an issue. But if you start doing more taxing tasks, especially over longer periods of time, this could have an adverse effect on the device.

nipponham

No offense to the OP and congratulations on your great buy, but I totally agree with the above post by msolok. There is no way an enclosed case, whether plastic or metal, is going to keep your device cooler than having its back exposed to the open air, unless there is some kind of water-cooling system included. That’s the main reason I opted for a sleeve and not a case. (That and the added weight.)

But even so, if it works for you, great!

Chuck_IV

After seeing the picks, I am glad I have one on order from Amazon. This thing looks great. I was looking for something that protected the back but didn't have a cover on the front, allowing me to use the keyboard as the cover(not sure what keyboard the above poster is using who said is was flimsy but my MS keyboard cover is NOT flimsy in the least).

Personally I also think people are overreacting with this heat thing. As long as all the vents are clear you should be fine.

I'm more concerned with having protection for the first time I fumble the thing and/or drop it. I know it will be protected and not have second thoughts about it.