What's new

Urban Armor Gear Red Case - Quick Review w/ Pics

I just completed a test using two identical i5-256GB SP3's (both my fiancee's and mine) side by side. One with the Urban Armor case on and one bare naked ;).

For quality control, these settings were identical on each machine.
  • Advanced system settings - Performance - Let windows decide - Best performance -Programs - Virtual Memory 400MB-2048MB
  • Identical programs running in Systray
  • Windows Defender on
  • HWiNFO64 to monitor temps
  • Prime95 set to Torture Test- Small FFTs-Maximum Heat
  • Cold start - Both systems shutdown 1 hour prior to testing so as not to taint results with residual heat
Prime95 was run for exactly 10 minutes. Screenshots were taken at these intervals:
  • 5 minute mark - Systems idle before test
  • 10 minute mark - Prime95 has been running for exactly 3 minutes
  • 15 minute mark - Prime95 has been running for exactly 8 minutes
  • 20 minute mark - Prime95 has been shutdown at 17 minute mark and System idle for 3 minutes
  • 28 minute mark - Internet Explorer open with 2 tabs running*
  • 30 minute mark - Final results*
*The 7 second screenshot discrepancy between systems at the 28 and 30 minute marks, were a result of me not doing the Windows Button + Volume Down correctly, and had to wait for the On-screen volume notification to disappear, then take the screenshot correctly.

1st screenshot is UAG SP3.
2nd screenshot is naked SP3.
Both UAG kickstand and SP3 kickstand were set at 40 degree angles.

5 minute mark - Systems idle before test

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_2_naked.png

10 minute mark - Prime95 has been running for exactly 3 minutes

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_3_naked.png

15 minute mark - Prime95 has been running for exactly 8 minutes

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_4_naked.png

20 minute mark - Prime95 has been shutdown at 17 minute mark and System idle for 3 minutes

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_5_naked.png

28 minute mark - Internet Explorer open with 2 tabs running*

Screenshot_6.png

Screenshot_6_naked.png

30 minute mark - Final results*

Screenshot_7.png

Screenshot_7_naked.png

CONCLUSION: The Urban Armor Gear SP3, while running slightly warmer than it's naked counterpart, actually has a higher CPU average.... Lol, just kidding.... Well, it does actually.

What this test really shows is that while the case does make the SP3 run 10-15 degrees warmer, this is only done when using the CPU's at 100% max for an extended time. Bear in mind this is not typical or even close to what an average consumer would use their 3 for. It also shows that both systems start to throttle at 91 degrees exactly.

What it also shows is that doing basic web browsing and the sorts, makes no actually difference with or without this UAG case as the difference is negligible.

It also seems to show that regardless of the UAG case, your SP3 will perform exactly the same, even if doing CPU intensive tasks, such as video editing, or graphic design. The firmware in the SP3 seems to throttle the CPU perfectly, without taking a hit in performance.

What really shocks me is how the SP3 with the UAG case on has a higher CPU average of almost 100MHz at the 15 minute mark, while it is running 10-15 degrees warmer than the naked SP3.

LAST WORDS: It's very hard to believe, and very weird, yet exhilarating to know that the UAG actually improves CPU performance over a naked SP3 under intensive workloads, albeit running much warmer. In any case, the UAG case removes all traces of heat being transferred to the end user. Maybe they should advertise that on the packaging :D

Oh, and my Microsoft type cover keyboard is not flimsy one bit. It's actually much sturdier than those folio cases sold on Amazon. I would also have no problem throwing the SP3 with the UAG case and type cover on in a book bag one bit, and I'm not rough with my devices at all. That's how solid and comfortable I feel this UAG case and type cover would protect my SP3.

Remember CPU's are designed to take the heat, and either way, the SP3 throttles at 91 degrees with or without a case. What they aren't designed for is to be DROPPED, and almost every device get's dropped at some point in it's short-lived life, no matter how careful you are. You choose.

Last edited:
I just completed a test using two identical i5-256GB SP3's (both my fiancee's and mine) side by side. One with the Urban Armor case on and one bare naked ;).

Oh, and my Microsoft type cover keyboard is not flimsy one bit. It's actually much sturdier than those folio cases sold on Amazon. I would also have no problem throwing the SP3 with the UAG case and type cover on in a book bag one bit, and I'm not rough with my devices at all. That's how solid and comfortable I feel this UAG case and type cover would protect my SP3.

They are all flimsy, in the sense that when in a backpack filled with textbooks, the type cover is not going to stay in place over the screen - it's going to flop off and expose the screen, at which point the UA case is useless - unless you like duct tape it to the UAG case so it's sealed shut or something...

It's a great case if the SP3 is always in your hands, at home/work etc - but I find in those stationary situations, you don't really even need a case - just my opinion.

And you probably need to do that test like 5000+ times to get any sort of idea on whether or now it improves performance... If it did, that's something a case maker would advertise.

One other issue I have with the UAG case, is the ripple design on the back. It seems to me that this case is aimed at those types of people that aren't in office/home work environments - more like it's aimed at people on the road, or people that work in trades, or something like that. In these situations (and I work in trades) that ripple design would be a nightmare for attracting drywall/carpentry dust, and would just generally goop up the device. It seems like a case designed by people that work in offices for people that work outside of the office - there seems to be a disconnect between practicality and design in other words. Just my thoughts on it.

msolok

What this test really shows is that while the case does make the SP3 run 10-15 degrees warmer, this is only done when using the CPU's at 100% max for an extended time. Bear in mind this is not typical or even close to what an average consumer would use their 3 for. It also shows that both systems start to throttle at 91 degrees exactly.

So what is 'typical' of surface owners? There are lots who use it for digital artwork, video and photo editing etc, which when compiling, rendering or running will use a lot of CPU and RAM for much longer periods than you have run for. The surface isn't specifically geared to people who want to do basic web surfing (because there are far cheaper and lighter devices out there which have better battery life). The Surfaces are aimed at those who do need more power and versatility than other tablets, so use cases of the CPU and GPU getting flogged are not unusual or uncommon.

What it also shows is that doing basic web browsing and the sorts, makes no actually difference with or without this UAG case as the difference is negligible.
Yep, 100% correct. The difference is going to be more obvious when the CPU is running harder and for much longer periods of time. The issue with the case is with heat dissipation, which comes into play when the device is generating more heat. The simple answer is the SP3 is able to deal with heat more effectively without the case (when the back is able to do it's job).

What really shocks me is how the SP3 with the UAG case on has a higher CPU average of almost 100MHz at the 15 minute mark, while it is running 10-15 degrees warmer than the naked SP3.

LAST WORDS: It's very hard to believe, and very weird, yet exhilarating to know that the UAG actually improves CPU performance over a naked SP3 under intensive workloads, albeit running much warmer. In any case, the UAG case removes all traces of heat being transferred to the end user. Maybe they should advertise that on the packaging :D

Sorry but your results show the case DECREASES your SP3's performance over all (although not by much). It shows the CPU usage as being higher, at a higher clock rate, with higher voltage and more heat. So in the end you Surface Pro was running hotter (although your case was insulating you against this... I would argue that is not a good thin though), chewing through more power and working harder to do the same work as without the case. Mind you, over such a short test period this is hardly conclusive or the differences ground shattering.
The big thing for me is the heat. It is much hotter with the case on, which will shorten it's life span (by how much no one case say). The heat will effect the battery and cause damage over time to no only the CPU but other things like the screen and HDD. Heat most certainly does kill computer hardware.

nipponham

Hey Jesse, I’m glad you ran your simple tests and got the results you were looking for to back up your perceived notions. I don’t think anyone here is said anything about performance decrease with a case, (although everyone knows that heat is a battery’s enemy and more generally, decreases overall performance). In fact, msolok even mentioned that a warmer environment would have no effect on light tasks such as web browsing and e-mail.

...my SP3 is running cooler, since the material is absorbing the heat from the metal backing and dispersing it before it even gets warm...

It was this statement that people, including myself, said is not possible. Ironically, your test seems to support that.

As for your claim that the case improves performance, I’m not interested in debating the fallacy of that. But I will say a simple, not possible.

Anyway, great looking case and I hope you enjoy it:)

Thanks for the responses. All I can say is the SP3 with the UAG case did clock on average about 100MHz faster than the naked SP3 under Prime95 with the same exact load and being throttled. Had it only clocked at 2000MHz average at 100%CPU load, I would have been calling Microsoft for a replacement SP3. Granted, it was a short test, but still a controlled test. Call it an anomaly, but it is what it is.

Also, the average SP3 user, I'm more than certain is not a power user. Just think of all those Surface Pro commercials on Sunday night football, and all those Youtube ads Microsoft has showing a soccer mom on the SP3 using skype. Also, not too many applications out there that use 100% CPU constantly for more than a few seconds here and there, and I have used many video editing programs, as well as many different CPU intensive Autodesk programs.

Like I said, most modern computers and components can take the heat generated from today's CPU. Heck, I ran my previously retired $4000 Alienware m17x for years at 80-95 Celsius with not one problem. That why BIOS usually have thermal points to shut down at to protect the CPU from getting damaged.

My point being, how many laptops, tablets, and phones have you seen get damaged from overheating? Now, how many have you seen get damaged from being dropped?

As for the UAG case making my SP3 run cooler, it was more of an exaggeration, not to be taken at face value.

By the way, enamored by the texture they used for the case, I have concluded feels like an official NBA ball, but better. Seems UAG put a lot of effort in creating and designing this case. It's one of those things you have to see and feel in person to understand and appreciate.

Even seems like you could easily clean it with a wet rag if it did get a little dirty. I don't see drywall being a problem for this case, looks like you could even pop it off and wash the whole case in a sink with soap and water if you needed to.

null4end

How easy is it to put on and take off the case? I don't see myself using it all the time, but I would plan on using it on trips and when I work at the ballpark during my kids practices...

Dblkk

Will have mine here within the hour, cant wait.

As for average user definition, I don't think anyone could really answer that without taking a large user poll and then taking the average. But to those that say this device was meant to be their video/picture editing device, and they run close to 100% CPU normally. I say you got the wrong device then. An i5 or even i7 dual core with really bad throttling, for $1000-2000 is not the device I use for photo or video editing. That's what my 'laptop' was bought for. $2000 gets you SP3 with dual core i7, 8gb ram, and 512gb SSD. $2000 also got me a MSI, i7 4810mq, 32gb ram, 1tb SSD, (plus 3x500gb msata ssd's), and a 880m/quaddro 5100m. Im not saying the surface cant do video or photo editing, as I use mine for sony vegas and lightroom, but it is not my go to machine, nor do I do more than light edits on the device. To use as a main machine for that, it would need to be plugged in 100% the time, and you'd need an external monitor, as size color accuracy aren't the surface's fortey. And in that case, a desktop pc for even $800 would beat out the top end surface.

I use mine in the field all the time, and 'dropping' is my biggest worry. Heat dissipation worries, to me just seem like a far cry to make something/anything of an excuse against a product. You cant honestly way your #1 worry is heat dissipation, and back that up. After purchasing a surface pro 1,2,3. Heat dissipation and throttling are the biggest things against the surface pro, and no the case doesn't help with that, but it also doesn't provide a large enough negative impact against it either.

My 2 cents