What's new

USB 3.0 Accessorie - USB Sharing 3Ports

mph

Hey Guys,

i know its a bit overdone opening a thread about this but i didnt found anything about it:

since the surfece pro got just one USB3.0 port and a legacy dockingstation ist not in sight i wonder if anyone is using some sort of USB Sharing Device paired wth a USB3.0 Hub.

my wish is,to switch my desktop mouse and keyboard and other prepherial between upt to 3 devices

i was consindering this:
Delock USB 3.0 Sharing Switch 2 ? 1
but cant find anything like it with 3 o more ports

the setup in mind:

3 devices(pc, desktop, htpc) -> usb sharing switch -> usb hub -> usb keyboard ect ect

i know the type of switches exist with more than just 2 ports for usb2.0..
if some one has a suggestion give me a hint.

ootherwise i guessi have to switch zu bluetooth mouse and keyboard, which i hesitate to do

mitchellvii

The primary issue with these USB 3.0 docking stations is that your HD 4000 Control Panel will not recognize external monitors connected this way as a monitor and thus you cannot use the tweaks (such as gamma adjustments) it has available.

If you are just looking for a simple USB 3.0 hub I highly recommend a powered unit so you can power your external Hard Drives. Here is the one I have that is quite inexpensive ($25.99) and works well:

Amazon.com: Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 4 Port Compact Hub with Power Adapter and USB 3.0 Cable - Matte Black, VIA VL812 Chipset, 18 Months Warranty: Computers & Accessories
61oldlfaybL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Ruffles

The primary issue with these USB 3.0 docking stations is that your HD 4000 Control Panel will not recognize external monitors connected this way as a monitor and thus you cannot use the tweaks (such as gamma adjustments) it has available.

If you are just looking for a simple USB 3.0 hub I highly recommend a powered unit so you can power your external Hard Drives. Here is the one I have that is quite inexpensive ($25.99) and works well:

Amazon.com: Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 4 Port Compact Hub with Power Adapter and USB 3.0 Cable - Matte Black, VIA VL812 Chipset, 18 Months Warranty: Computers & Accessories

Thats the one I use. Works great.

mitchellvii

If you are going to get a USB 3.0 hub don't be cheap and just get the powered unit. Everything will work better.

ncameron

If it is mainly for use on a desk and does not need to be portable I would thoroughly recommend the Toshiba Dynadock device.

mitchellvii

If it is mainly for use on a desk and does not need to be portable I would thoroughly recommend the Toshiba Dynadock device.

Benefit of the Dynadock is that you can have two external monitors. Negative of course is that your HD 4000 Control Panel won't see them. If you are happy with the color, gamma, brightness controls already built into your monitors this may not be an issue for me. I tried the Dynadock myself and thought my screen looked washed out. YMMV.

OP
mph

mph

Thanks fpr the numerous suggestions, but i guess they dont really fit my needs.

I'm clear so far, that i need a USB3.0 Hub to connect all my desktop USB devices to it.

but none of these would offer the possibility to switch betweent 3 PCs (eg. surface and desktop-pc plus HTPC)

since i will be able to connect the surface pro natively to the monitor via DisplayPort and the Desktop-PC via DVI-D i find KVM Switches and others pretty much overdone for the purpose of switching the acces of USB devices between various computers.

i guess it's either the 2port switch and leaving the HTPC out or connecting cables manually for the occasion to switch (i really hope the surface pro can replace the gaming pc for web brwsing and other stuff -- oh the silence :))

anyway gus, im open for mote suggestions and appreciate your help

razmichael

If all you really want to switch between the devices is a keyboard and mouse then you do not need a USB3 switch/KVM. Consider a USB3 hub to connect to your Pro and and then connect the hub to a USB 2 switch/KVM (lots of these). Your other devices and be connected directly to the KVM assuming they have multiple USB ports (or through a separate hub). I would hesitate to switch things like external hard drives back and forth between devices anyway so this setup would give you multiple USB 3 ports for your surface and allow you to switch your mouse, keyboard and other devices that do not need USB 3 back and forth.

OP
mph

mph

Hey razmichael,

it seems like there is no other solution to this than the way you and previous posts suggested, since there is no "simple" 3-way USB3.0 switch

i never considered switching USB Harddrives. occational switching.

by now ill go with the usb3.0 hub and switching the cable between 2 pcs manually

thanks guys

malberttoo

So, you just want to share all your peripherals between 3 PC's? If so, then yes, you need a KVM switch. Or, what am I missing?