What's new

USB 3.0 adapter now available

joudbren

Wish they had a picture of it installed. I can't tell if it installs pointing up or down and if it points up, does it cover the volume buttons on the side of the SP2? I'll buy one for sure if it fits!

Nuspieds

There is a picture with it installed. Perhaps it was recently added, but it is there now.

I love the form factor, but wish they had one with all USB 3.0 ports instead. That's what I need for my mobile needs.

I currently have a compact 4-port hub, but it certainly isn't as sleek and compact as this device. Oh well, design looks good, though.

jefhart

There is a picture with it installed. Perhaps it was recently added, but it is there now.

I love the form factor, but wish they had one with all USB 3.0 ports instead. That's what I need for my mobile needs.

I currently have a compact 4-port hub, but it certainly isn't as sleek and compact as this device. Oh well, design looks good, though.

If I'm not mistaken you can only plug one 3.0 port in at a time so only the first one will run at 3.0, the rest will automatically go down to 2.0.

godashram

yeah, that 3rd shot wasn't there this morning.... looks a bit big, but would come in handy for me during SDCC....just need the sd card slot and a USB 3 port...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My JUICED 5 in 1 Connection Kit (for Surface) still works great. It is USB 2.0 .
Glad to see that the USB 3.0 version is shipping. Ordered it today.

olimjj

If I'm not mistaken you can only plug one 3.0 port in at a time so only the first one will run at 3.0, the rest will automatically go down to 2.0.

I contacted customer support with this question:
"If both USB ports are used simultaneously, will they both operate at 3.0"

and I received this reply:
"Yes, both inputs will operate at full speed... its possible there is a slight speed variance between the two, but I believe it will just vary on what action you are performing."

jefhart

I contacted customer support with this question:
"If both USB ports are used simultaneously, will they both operate at 3.0"

and I received this reply:
"Yes, both inputs will operate at full speed... its possible there is a slight speed variance between the two, but I believe it will just vary on what action you are performing."
Sorry for being vague. They were talking about their device; what I meant is the Surface can't support more than one 3.0 usb port at a time so it will knock the other ports to 2.0.

olimjj

Sorry for being vague. They were talking about their device; what I meant is the Surface can't support more than one 3.0 usb port at a time so it will knock the other ports to 2.0.

That does make sense. Their own dock station comes with only 1 USB 3.0 port and 3 USB 2.0 ports.

olimjj

From a power point of view the 4 USB ports on the Microsoft DOCK Station draw: 1 x 900 + 3 x 500 = 2400 ma

Could they have gone: 2 x 900 + 1 X 500= 2300 ma?

If that is the case,then perhaps the adapter in question needed to be supplemented with an external power supply to work to full spec: which is not an elegant solution.

Last edited: