What's new

USB 3.0 Display

• Thread starter Deleted member 10837
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10837

I'm thinking of possibly replacing my desktop computer with the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 in the future. So while at home I would want to connect it to my monitor and peripheral setup. The Plugable UD-3000 will have everything I will need including a USB 3 to DVI adapter. I'm not a big gamer but I do still occasionally want to play some mid-range games at 720p windowed mode. I've heard that the USB display performs fine in normal use and video watching but not recommend for playing games. I could not find much information on this subject so I would really appreciate if anyone can shed some light on how this would compare to a dedicated video output port.

My monitor setup -

http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VE228H/#overview
http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails/tabid/65/PRDID/351/language/en-CA/Default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

machistmo

Using the USB as Display out? It would be CPU intensive and a waste of the MINI DP out that it provided to you. That is whatever output they decide on for the SP2. I would assume it will be DP as it seems to be the way these devices are all heading. Just buy whatever adapter is required.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 10837

Using the USB as Display out? It would be COU intensive and a waste of the MINI DP out that it provided to you. Just buy whatever adapter is required.

The second generation could possibly have a different video output port. Perhaps someone with experience can describe what kind of response and refresh rate differences there are with USB.

machistmo

Well, from experience, the USB to Video is a last resort. It can be acceptable but its not something you do when your device provides a hardware solution. No output? GO USB. Output Provided, buy whatever adapter you need to get it hooked up to whatever monitor you happen to own, VGA, DVI, DP, HDMI etc.

machistmo

The second generation could possibly have a different video output port. Perhaps someone with experience can describe what kind of response and refresh rate differences there are with USB.

Its not bad, but its not something you want to be doing, esp to a device like a SP or SP2. Besides, if the SP2 doesnt come with or offer a dock with video out on it: 1) Dont buy it 2) sell your MS stock

OP
D

Deleted member 10837

Its not bad, but its not something you want to be doing, esp to a device like a SP or SP2. Besides, if the SP2 doesnt come with or offer a dock with video out on it: 1) Dont buy it 2) sell your MS stock

I currently don't have a Surface so I'm wondering if anyone have tried running VMware and VirtualBox on their device as they are something I use often on my desktop.

2moxpu9.png

4hvcdh.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 10837

Just remember the current SP is a 10" screen.

Yes, I would want to use this when at home connected to an external monitor with the virtual machines stored on a external hard drive.

machistmo

Another downside to all these devices is they keep treating SSD drives like they are new and cost intensive when I can buy a 256GB SSD for $200. But the cost increase to a device offering a 256GB is still closer to $500. Pisses me off.

OP
D

Deleted member 10837

Another downside to all these devices is they keep treating SSD drives like they are new and cost intensive when I can buy a 256GB SSD for $200. But the cost increase to a device offering a 256GB is still closer to $500. Pisses me off.

My desk is 1 meter away from the router so I'm wonder if I should also get a USB to Ethernet adapter for a wired connection to reduce latency and increase speed.

machistmo

Well you could always get something like this device and take care of all your problems all at once and add touch as well as GigE Ethernet to the external soltuion: Dell S2340T 23-inch Multi-Touch Monitor with LED : Computer Components | Dell

I have one and used it with my Surface Pro before I returned it and all I can say is:

[video=youtube;GV2Y2kIUkIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV2Y2kIUkIs[/video]

It works flawlessly with the Surface Pro too - no driver install, nothing - it just works right out of the box, Plug and Play baby. It works with Windows 7 as well, its may second monitor as my Dell 3007WFP 30 inch @ 2560x1600 is the main dispaly. But its nice as a touch main Desktop in Windows7 and 8. I loved it with the Pro and fully intend to use it with whatver desktop behemoth I decide to build.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 10837

Well you could always get something like this device and take care of all your problems all at once and add touch as well as GigE Ethernet to the external soltuion: Dell S2340T 23-inch Multi-Touch Monitor with LED : Computer Components | Dell

I have one and used it with my Surface Pro before I returned it and all I can say is:

[video=youtube;GV2Y2kIUkIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV2Y2kIUkIs[/video]

It works flawlessly with the Surface Pro too - no driver install, nothing - it just works right out of the box, Plug and Play baby. It works with Windows 7 as well, its may second monitor as my Dell 3007WFP 30 inch @ 2560x1600 is the main dispaly. But its nice as a touch main Desktop in Windows7 and 8. I loved it with the Pro and fully intend to use it with whatver desktop behemoth I decide to build.

I don't actually have any problems that needs to be taken care of. I bought my monitor and stand a few months ago which has been working for me perfectly. What I'm asking about is a $25 Ethernet adapter, not a $600 monitor.