What's new

USB 3.0 Display

• Thread starter Deleted member 10837
  • Start date

machistmo

Well, to each their own. I would go with the touch Monitor. You can get them refurbed for a lot less these days. and of course a $10 USB > Ethernet adapter would work. Absolutely. It's just not nearly as much fun as a 600 monitor can be, thats all.

Last edited:

machistmo

I don't actually have any problems that needs to be taken care of. I bought my monitor and stand a few months ago which has been working for me perfectly. What I'm asking about is a $25 Ethernet adapter, not a $600 monitor.

When I said 'problem' I was referring to your original post. The questions about a USB adapter for an external Monitor. The monitor I suggested would use the USB port, but only to pass touch information back and forth and offer 4 USB 3 ports on the Expansion base as well as the Ethernet port you later mentioned. Easy there camper.

OP
D

Deleted member 10837

When I said 'problem' I was referring to your original post. The questions about a USB adapter for an external Monitor. The monitor I suggested would use the USB port, but only to pass touch information back and forth and offer 4 USB 3 ports on the Expansion base as well as the Ethernet port you later mentioned. Easy there camper.

USB to DVI adapter was for the Plugable UD-3000. Other wise something like this would be adequate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krooked

Its not bad, but its not something you want to be doing, esp to a device like a SP or SP2. Besides, if the SP2 doesnt come with or offer a dock with video out on it: 1) Dont buy it 2) sell your MS stock

I agree. I don't see why anyone would skip over the SP's supplied versatile video DP for a USB port when gaming.

The Display Port works exceptionally well, and if you don't have a port extender, the single USB 3 allows you to use the touch capability of your external monitor with the SP (if you're like me and use a bluetooth mouse).

As others have said, the USB port can offer a "useable" alternative means for video connection, but I would not game on it.

OP
D

Deleted member 10837

Yea but that cheap jack adpater is just missing one thing :
TOUCH!

[video=youtube;vvYvjy-lmcM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvYvjy-lmcM[/video]

To each their own, right? I have uninstalled as many preinstalled bloatware apps on Windows 8.1 as I can and spend 99.9% of my time in desktop mode. So when connected to an external monitor I want it to be a desktop replacement using mouse and keyboard and not touch.

machistmo

Well I would not consider using USB Video unless I had to use it. Unless of course the USb was passing touch signals and then of course.

OP
D

Deleted member 10837

Well I would not consider using USB Video unless I had to use it. Unless of course the USb was passing touch signals and then of course.

I will be content using Mini DisplayPort to DVI on my non touchscreen external monitor while at my desk.

FWIW, thanks guys. Just ordered a mini display port to hdmi cable from Amazon. I've been unsure of how to proceed with the touch monitor I recently purchased. Between the hdmi and usb I think I'll be set. Mucho grassy ass.