What's new

USB 3.0 Dock for 2540x1440? Why Not?

ChopChop

G'day knowledgeable ones!,

I have been reading bits and pieces of info from this site for a while now, I have taken the plunge and have purchased a 128gb Pro.. and man am I loving it!
Goodbye iPad, Goodbye Lenovo Laptop.. I have consolidated all devices into the pro, I have been waiting over 7 months for it to arrive in Aus.

So.. My problem which is literally giving me a headache! its killing my eyes.

-------------------------------------
I want a USB 3.0 Docking station that will drive 2 x 2540x1440 monitors? Is this not possible? if not, why?
I have seen videos of guys driving 7 displays across USB 3.0.. I just want 2 at that higher res.

-------------------------------------

I purchased the Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock but it will not go beyond 1920x1080. :(
I then purchased a Mini DP -> Full DP connector and went straight into my monitor from the surface pro.. still only 1080p :(

I have literally walked all over Sydney buying cables, trying different things.. buying docking stations only to be disappointed time and time again.

I am all Googled out.. I just cant look at this poxy 1080p res anymore! particaulrly on good 24" dell monitors which will native 2540x1440..

PLEASE HELP! PLEASE someone give me some good news?

Thanks,
CC

mitchellvii

Well you are asking your HD 4000 integrated graphics to pump a hell of a lot of pixels out of the Display Port and/or USB 3.0. I simply cannot see how you can do it. Typically to drive two monitors of that res you need a high end video card or discrete graphics. Even if it were possible I expect the lag would make it unusable.

Oh well, maybe one of the other guys can help you more. There may be a solution.

Last edited:

mph

He ChopChop,

I never considerd multi-display usage on the surface since my Dell U2711 seems sufficient in aea an resolution (2560*1440):)
so this:

I purchased the Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock but it will not go beyond 1920x1080. :(
I then purchased a Mini DP -> Full DP connector and went straight into my monitor from the surface pro.. still only 1080p :(

can't be true. Im running the surface pro with 2560*1440p on my U2711.
The fist cable didn't work so I ordern 2 new ones which work well with the surface rpo.

Just a hint:
if you set the surface to extend the screen, you have to first confirm the settings before you can change the resolution up from 1080p (Resolutions settings avaiable via right-click on the desktop - cant tell you the exeavt english menü-names since Iuse a german windows ...)