What's new

usb 3 hub with gigabit ethernet

Sihaz

Hi all, have seen a few of these on eBay and amazon for about £20. Wondering if they live up to their promise. Has anyone got any recommendations for something to get some more juice out of the left hand side of my SP2? :)

InkyRag

Hi all, have seen a few of these on eBay and amazon for about £20. Wondering if they live up to their promise. Has anyone got any recommendations for something to get some more juice out of the left hand side of my SP2? :)

I ordered the Unitek one from Amazon. It will be here tomorrow. I did search the web to see if there were any comments about them favorable or otherwise. They seem to be meeting peoples expectations and several have noted that they are perfect for the Surface units and working out of the box.

jrapdx

No direct experience with those items, but I do have a USB 3.0 hub (no ethernet), which works just fine with various external drives, etc.

I do have a USB D-Link wireless adapter, quite an inexpensive model, which very consistently outperforms the built-in WiFi adapter by quite a margin. Typically the Marvell receives at 65 Mb/sec, sometimes 130 Mb. The outboard D-Link shows 150 Mb reading the same access point. Plugging the D-Link into the hub gives the same results as plugged directly into the SP2 port.

InkyRag

I ordered the Unitek one from Amazon. It will be here tomorrow. I did search the web to see if there were any comments about them favorable or otherwise. They seem to be meeting peoples expectations and several have noted that they are perfect for the Surface units and working out of the box.

Update: My Unitek arrived yesterday. After plugging it in the USB ports installed but the NIC did not. I got the yellow triangle. I tried to install it using the enclosed drivers without success. Windows reported an invalid hardware descriptor. It was also a lot bigger than I expected and cheaply constructed. Needless to say it is on its way back to Amazon for a refund. I will just keep my eye out for a very small well made hub and be done with it.

Last edited:

Guybrush

I've got same Inateck device and it's work fine. I tested also plugging my Toshiba usb3 esternal drive and not problems at all.