What's new

USB-C charging?

mcsenerd

I don't know about "well", but I'm sure it works. I bought the following to try to come up with some sort of portable docking station-type solution for myself, but I've been less than successful thus far:

Batpower P90 Power Adapter

Now, I like this power adapter since it will supposedly do up to a total of 90Watts output and includes a QC 3.0 and regular USB 5v port as well. Now, this is still well below the total output capable from the already underpowered OEM charger for the 15"... But, I was thinking that it would be ok, so long as I wasn't slamming the SB2 with insane workloads while on the road.

However, I've had a few issues with getting this all to work. For one, the USB-C to USB-C they shipped with the adapter seems a little flaky. Secondly, it's almost impossible to find a multi-use USB-C adapter with HDMI and networking that supports these kinds of power inputs for USB-C passthrough charging. Most of the USB-C multiport adapters that I've seen max out at around 60V input on the USB-C passthrough port, so you're almost guaranteed to burn one up using this charger and one of them together.

Now, just using the charger with the SB2 by itself? I've had no problem at all. Works like it should and it's about as strong as the OEM charger, but not quite...

OP
G

gman713

First, thank you for responding! I think I'll try the Apple adapter just as a 2nd charger. I like how compact it is. I also purchased the MoKo HDMI and usb adapter on Amazon. I'll see if that works for connecting to a TV and passing data at the same time. I think it will work fine.

Seneleron

For the record, I just plugged my 45w Apple USB C charger into the SB2 15" and it DOES show as charging, so the 87 should be fine. The first cable I plugged in was a TB 3 cable, and I didn't have any issues at all, but it's pretty short. The second cable I plugged in was an Aukey Type-C, and it complains that it's on a slow charge.

chekhonte

Interesting. I'll try my Nintendo Switch charger. That might be a budget solution if my oem cable fails.

Its still is amazing to me that I canbe so cheep after dropping 3 Grand on a laptop.

OP
G

gman713

Thanks, I picked up the official adapter from Apple without the cable. I got it on eBay for $42. Not bad for an extra very portable adapter for the Surface.

OP
G

gman713

Anyone using an official Apple usb c charger and noticed problems with charging or negatively affecting their system? I figured it's worth asking from those who already has been using it.

brosenz

Anyone using an official Apple usb c charger and noticed problems with charging or negatively affecting their system? I figured it's worth asking from those who already has been using it.
I've been using it since I purchased my SB2 without any problem, it has to be the 87W version.

OP
G

gman713

I've been using it since I purchased my SB2 without any problem, it has to be the 87W version.

Thanks, I just got my Apple cable and it's charging like a pro! The only issue I noticed is that I got a couple of warning messages that it was not charging at a full rate and there is also a yellow exclamation point over the charging symbol in the system tray.