What's new

USB Ethernet adapter

kristalsoldier

This adapter works great on my Surface RT when I take it to work (where there is no wifi): Amazon.com : BobjGear USB to RJ45 Compact Fast Ethernet Adapter made for Android Tablets; also works with Ultrabooks, Windows, Linux, Mac, ChromeOS, Android TV Sticks MK802, MK808, UG802, UG007, iMito, Favi. BobjGear One Year Adapter Limited Warranty

You'll need to download the driver, but this one uses the only chipset that's compatible with the RT.

Thanks. Very interesting. I thought it is not possible to download and install stuff onto the RT. How does this work? Just go to the driver page and install? How did you do it?

kristalsoldier

This adapter works great on my Surface RT when I take it to work (where there is no wifi): Amazon.com : BobjGear USB to RJ45 Compact Fast Ethernet Adapter made for Android Tablets; also works with Ultrabooks, Windows, Linux, Mac, ChromeOS, Android TV Sticks MK802, MK808, UG802, UG007, iMito, Favi. BobjGear One Year Adapter Limited Warranty

You'll need to download the driver, but this one uses the only chipset that's compatible with the RT.

I was just checking this on the Amazon UK site. See below:

This compact, light weight USB-to-Wired-Internet Adapter for Android tablets works "Plug-N-Play" with Android versions 3.2 and above. There is no installation procedure, and no need to install drivers. Just plug it in to your Android tablet for wired internet access. Requires a full size USB port on your tablet or on your tablet's docking station. Also works with Micro-OTG or Mini-OTG ports by adding BobjGear OTG adapter cable. Works with Toshiba THRiVE dock and ASUS Transformer keyboard dock. Works with NetBooks, Notebooks, and UltraBooks, MacBook Air Lion and Mountain Lion 10.6 or above. Works with Windows 8 "x86" processors (Intel and AMD). Will not work with Windows 8 RT, (i.e., Microsoft Surface type tablet). Works with Android "Stick Computers", such as MK802 and UG802, MK808, UG007, iMito, Favi. Compliant with all USB Standards 1.0, 2.0, 3.0. The adapter is USB powered; no external power supply is needed. Drivers included for other than Android. RoSH, CE, FCC compliant. EXCEPTIONS: This Adapter does not work with Android Phones. This Adapter will not work if Tablet manufacturers have not included an Ethernet (wired internet) capability in their version of the Android Operating System. For this reason, the following Android tablets CAN NOT use this adapter: Samsung, ACER, Lenovo, Sony, Coby-Kyros. Toshiba models "THRiVE7", AT200 (Excite LE) will not work with this adapter. This adapter will not work with Windows 8 "RT" Version. This adapter will not "enable" a tablet that is not configured to work with Ethernet. Consult your tablet's user's guide, tablet manufacturer, or your applicable web forum if you are uncertain.

But obviously it does, if you are using it...!

kristalsoldier

Microsoft pulled the drivers, but Google will find them for you. Here's the file name to find: AX88772B_772A_772_WinRT_Driver_v3.16.0.1807.zip

More on that here: Wired Ethernet Connectivity for the Microsoft Surface | Plugable

Yes, you just add the drivers from the desktop.

Hi...

You may want to take a look at this: http://winsupersite.com/windows-rt/surface-rt-users-no-ethernet-you

If Thurrott is right - and I see no reason why he would not be - then with the 8.1 upgrade, the Surface RT will lose this capability. I wonder what the folks at MS are smoking!!!!!

DocGo

Interesting. I couldn't get the USB ethernet adapter to work in my PRO either. But then, because I have a Macbook Air, I used the Apple USB ethernet adapter in my PRO and it worked right away without needing to install any drivers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just theorizing but all drivers for RT are required to be "inbox" drivers based on a device class, this also means the drivers must pass WHQL Certification which requires a fee, so either the IHV refused to pay the fee or the drivers didn't pass the WHQL Certification.

But I can confirm that 8.1 breaks the drivers that worked on RT RTM. Another option that I've used is I carry a Travel Router/AP that I can plug into Ethernet and connect to wirelessly. It was the same price as the USB Ethernet Adapter.

OP
H

harsat

Problem solved. Microsoft did make a mistake. They put the driver for the ethernetnet adapter in the wrong ( for AMD processors) directory. Almost two months of looking for a solution by myself. Then two weeks chatting with the helpdesk. Three times re-installing my Surface Pro. Even replacing my Surface Pro with a new one. Nothing helped. Untill they discovered that the softwaredrivers were in the wrong directory.
And what was the answer from Microsoft: Sorry!. nothing else.