What's new

USB External Monitor Problem

Jabob

So I have a AOC USB powered external monitor (model is E1659fwu), when I connect it to my Surface Pro 2 it powers up but it only shows a black screen. I have looked through all the settings I can find as well as the manual with no luck. It worked fine the first time I plugged it in, but not since then. Just hoping someone has a idea as to how to fix it. Thanks.

hotphil

My first thoughts too. The power drain is too much.
That monitor claims to operate at <8 watts when in use. The specs for USB3 seem to be up to 0.9 amps current draw. And a voltage of 5. So (and someone may well correct me on this) the USB max power available is 0.9 * 5 = 4.5 watts.
So if the monitor's getting even close to its 8 watt max drain, that's over the specification for a USB3 socket. And I suspect the socket's not allowing it to drain that much. It'd probably work fine in a desktop PC where the hardware may well let it have the current it wants.

hotphil

Actually, before thinking about power, if it's displaying just a black screen have you configured the display settings to mirror/extend the display to the additional monitor?

OP
J

Jabob

Actually, before thinking about power, if it's displaying just a black screen have you configured the display settings to mirror/extend the display to the additional monitor?

Ya, I have checked up on that, it is in extend mode. The surface also makes the USB connect noise several times when I plug it in. The display powers on but goes black. Not too sure why that is. I have even been able to drag an open program into the blank second screen, it still shows the program as running, but I can see it because the display is dark.

Ya, I have checked up on that, it is in extend mode. The surface also makes the USB connect noise several times when I plug it in. The display powers on but goes black. Not too sure why that is. I have even been able to drag an open program into the blank second screen, it still shows the program as running, but I can see it because the display is dark.

Try a few different resolutions (lower ones), see if you can get something to come up

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you installed the latest DisplayLink drivers? They are usually pretty good at updating their drivers (www.displaylink.com ). Another
thing to try is if you have a split USB Cable that used to come with portable hard drives, try that plugging the power side into a USB to Power Adapter.