What's new

USB monitor

dtw56

I was considering purchasing the AOC E1649FWU 16" USB-Powered Portable LED Monitor as an extended screen for the SP. But I want to use the mini-display port. Will that port supply power to the monitor? I don't think this monitor has an option for an external power supply. Thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I can't imagine any monitor not having at least an option for its own power supply. The SP will not provide enough power. It can supply some but if the monitor doesn't have some sort of power supply you will want to get a powered hub.

Edit: Double checked and you are correct the monitor does not come with a secondary power option (like a powered usb). Seems strange not to have the option. If running from the mini DP you will need to go through a powered USB hub.

JP

Last edited:

Nuspieds

If I were still only travelling with my personal laptop, then I would consider it because once you start working with dual monitors, you never want to go back. But now I have a dedicated work laptop so when I add my SP to the laptop bag, it's full and heavy enough. Also, if at the right hotel, I always end up plugging in my SP to the TV as a secondary monitor.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I own a Toshiba USB Monitor and every x86 laptop/tablet I've used has been able to power it.

Raction

I was considering purchasing the AOC E1649FWU 16" USB-Powered Portable LED Monitor as an extended screen for the SP. But I want to use the mini-display port. Will that port supply power to the monitor? I don't think this monitor has an option for an external power supply. Thanks.

I own a Lenovo LT1421 led lcd usb monitor and it works superbly. The single usb 3 port on the pro powers it fine

Great for a dual monitor setup

J515OP

Super Moderator
The question was if the mini display port will power the monitor. As far as I know the DP standard doesn't cover power. Has anybody actually tried a DP to USB to power their monitor?