What's new

USB on 46'' TV

MickeyLittle

My TV doesn't have any open HDMI ports and trying to do the splitter/remote is kind of a pain. But I noticed that my TV does have an open USB port right next to the 4 full HDMI ports. So my question is can I run my video out cord from my SP 2 to some adapter and then into the USB on the TV and will that work the same like hooking it into one of the HDMI ports?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The TV would need a DisplayLink USB Video Card (or similar) in it to work like that, some TVs have VGA so you can pickup a Mini-DP to VGA Adapter and use that but you would also need an AUX Cable for sound.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Thanks, that will save me the effort and money for the USB efforts and now I'll just look to see about the VGA option. For what I'm doing sound isn't important that often and when it is I could just unplug one of the HDMIs.

kundas1

normally the USB is only for firmware upgrade and/or picture viewing, that's it... your better off just unplugging one of the hdmi ports to use for the Surface.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

normally the USB is only for firmware upgrade and/or picture viewing, that's it... your better off just unplugging one of the hdmi ports to use for the Surface.

Yeah, I'm going to check on the VGA port though because I already have a 25 foot VGA cable and most of what I need it for requires no sound. I just get in "lots" of trouble whenever I unplug any of the critical HDMI ports for my Surface and then forget to plug the critical plug back in for the Wife! That's why I'm really looking for different options cause I am forgetful!

kundas1

Well no, it's not even the same connector as you can clearly see! And mac is proprietary

dutchiedave

I will have bought a mini display port to hdmi and also a mini display port to dvi cable and both have worked perfectly on my surface pro 2.

The mini display port is not proprietary to Macs.

By the look of it the cable you gave a link to looks fine for a surface pro 2, but I can't guarantee it will work :)

kundas1

I will have bought a mini display port to hdmi and also a mini display port to dvi cable and both have worked perfectly on my surface pro 2.

The mini display port is not proprietary to Macs.

By the look of it the cable you gave a link to looks fine for a surface pro 2, but I can't guarantee it will work :)

No I'm saying all mac hardware is proprietary, you cannot use them on other devices.... and that is what the OP posted the link too... IT WILL NOT WORK.

Its not rocket science, just go to ebay and search "Microsoft Surface VGA adapter" that's it that's all... simple and you'll find a whole bunch