What's new

Solved USB-port keeps disconnecting

Eplak

Hi!

I have already gotten a new SP4 off warranty, and I have been experiencing that my USB-port keeps disconnecting and reconnecting infinitely when charging my phone. Is this a hardware failure or has it something to do with recent updates?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

New - SP4 - off warranty? How did that happen?

Are you using the port on the Surface or the one on the power brick?

Some devices seem to be drawing more power than the USB port on the Surface can output. I would try a flash drive to see if you have the same issue. You may need a powered HUB though it would seem a phone should not pull that much power. Try a USB flash drive to see if you have the same problem

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum

New - SP4 - off warranty? How did that happen?

Are you using the port on the Surface or the one on the power brick?

Some devices seem to be drawing more power than the USB port on the Surface can output. I would try a flash drive to see if you have the same issue. You may need a powered HUB though it would seem a phone should not pull that much power. Try a USB flash drive to see if you have the same problem

I think he means that this is a replacement SP4 he got through making a warranty claim.

OP: what phone are you using. Some phones have the ability to "slow charge", others do not and demand the full draw, something the SP4 may not be able to provide.

OP
E

Eplak

hughlle is right. A little vague from me, and my native language is not English.

The point here is that this problem did not occur on my previous SP4. Therefore I wonder why this is happening now.
The phone is a Lumia 930, and has the ability to slow charge.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
A slim possibility, but try a different usb cable (i know it worked previously, but you never know) My phone is constantly disconnecting due to usb cables. Only one i have actually creates a stable connection.

OP
E

Eplak

A slim possibility, but try a different usb cable (i know it worked previously, but you never know) My phone is constantly disconnecting due to usb cables. Only one i have actually creates a stable connection.

I will definitely try that when i have access to one, but the cable seems fine when connected to a wall adapter.

OP
E

Eplak

My LaCie Rugged mini 1,5 TB hardrive is working just perfect, so i guess my phone's slow charge is misbehaving a little bit. Thought you might want to know.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just thought I'd clarify what I meant by slow charge. I dont mean slow in that it's not a fast charging protocol like on newer phones, but slow charge in that it is below even a normal charge. On my phone I get a warning message saying that it is slow charging with a big triangle and exclamation mark. If I were to watch YouTube while in this slow charge state, the battery would discharge.

OP
E

Eplak

I just thought I'd clarify what I meant by slow charge. I dont mean slow in that it's not a fast charging protocol like on newer phones, but slow charge in that it is below even a normal charge. On my phone I get a warning message saying that it is slow charging with a big triangle and exclamation mark. If I were to watch YouTube while in this slow charge state, the battery would discharge.

Yes, i understood what you meant. I have gotten that message on my Lumia 930 before, so i am familiar with the term.