What's new

USB stick

joga

Hi,

my Surface with Windows RT does not recognize my Sandisk 32 GB USB 3 stick.

The stick works perfectly on my Desktop and my Notebook. My desktop supports USB 2, my Notebook USB 3.

Anyone else having an issue connecting USB 3 devices?

joga

bosamar

Hi,

my Surface with Windows RT does not recognize my Sandisk 32 GB USB 3 stick.

The stick works perfectly on my Desktop and my Notebook. My desktop supports USB 2, my Notebook USB 3.

Anyone else having an issue connecting USB 3 devices?

joga

The USB port on the RT is USB 2.0; on the Pro it's 3.0

compnovo

But a USB 3 flash drive should work on a USB 2 port. But at USB 2 speeds.

I can confirm that a USB 3 thumb drive works on the Surface RT (at the slower speed, of course). I have the opposite problem with the microSD card: the Surface sees the full drive, but my Win8 desktop can see only 1GB. It appears that sometimes these things don't play together well.

OP
J

joga

Yes the USB 3 stick should work with USB 2 performance.

hmm maybe something is wrong with my Surface.

I need to buy a USB stick for my wife. Let see if the new one will work. If not i will contact Microsoft.

gpstrucker

I use several different brands of usb sticks, most of them usb 3, and my Surface RT recognizes them all no problem.

bosamar

Does it show up in File Manager on your RT Desktop? If I plug one into my RT that's where I go to find it.

OP
J

joga

No USB3 sticks show up in the file manager. USB 2 sticks are working fine.
Using USB3 sticks on the Surface RT shouldn't be a problem because of compatibility.

Darkhell

I wonder if the Surface RT is sensitive to certain settings flash drives comes with, I know my PS3 doesn't like half of my sticks. So far my RT reads all of the USBs I own.