What's new

USB to HDMI dongle

Tsurugaya

Bought an external monitor to use with my Surface Pro 2, it came with VGA, HDMI and DVI ports. I had an USB to HDMI dongle available and birth HDMI and HDMI to DVI called available, neither worked. Am I missing some driver? The monitor works fine connected to other computers.

bluegrass

I don't know the answer to your question but I would highly recommend you get an adapter to plug in the video port that will allow you to use a standard HDMI cable. I bought my dongle at Best Buy for about $15 or $20 but I've seen them on Amazon for about $5. It will also leave your USB port free to use for the multitude of USB products available to enhance your use of your Surface.

GoodBytes

ok I am confused.

So you got a nice monitor with HDMI and DV, and, instead of using the DisplayPort connector on your Surface Pro (well mini-DisplayPort to be correct), you want to use a USB graphic solution crap that causes more trouble than it's worth, with abysmal performance?! Just get the mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable! or DisplayPort to DVI!
They are dirt cheap, no drivers, and nothing, and get proper full performance of the Surface Pro graphic solution!
Amazon.com : Cable Matters Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt™ Port Compatible) to HDMI Cable in Black 6 Feet : Thunderbolt To Hdmi : Computers & Accessories
Amazon.com : StarTech.com MDP2HDMI Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Video Adapter Converter : Hdmi Cables : Electronics
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...40333&sr=8-5&keywords=mini+DisplayPort+to+DVI
And you can find cheaper at monoprice, or ebay.

OP
T

Tsurugaya

I don't know the answer to your question but I would highly recommend you get an adapter to plug in the video port that will allow you to use a standard HDMI cable. I bought my dongle at Best Buy for about $15 or $20 but I've seen them on Amazon for about $5. It will also leave your USB port free to use for the multitude of USB products available to enhance your use of your Surface.

I was using it in the dock do plenty of free USB ports, my problem is finding a Mini Display Port adapter, I guess I'll have to buy it from Microsoft's online store. Out was just disappointing since I already had the VGA2HDMI dongle available.

OP
T

Tsurugaya

USB Display Adapters usually need a Driver from DisplayLink, DisplayLink: Technology for USB adapters, USB universal docking stations and USB monitors for laptops, notebooks, personal computers and Mac OSX I believe there is one other manufacturer of these but I can't remember who creates the other USB Video Card. DisplayLink is the leader and I would say 95% of the solution uses their tech.

Appreciate that tip, will test it soon. With the VGA2HDMI adapter I'll be able to use it in other configurations, the only device with Mini Display Port is my Surface

OP
T

Tsurugaya

ok I am confused.

So you got a nice monitor with HDMI and DV, and, instead of using the DisplayPort connector on your Surface Pro (well mini-DisplayPort to be correct), you want to use a USB graphic solution crap that causes more trouble than it's worth, with abysmal performance?! Just get the mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable! or DisplayPort to DVI!
They are dirt cheap, no drivers, and nothing, and get proper full performance of the Surface Pro graphic solution!
Amazon.com : Cable Matters Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt™ Port Compatible) to HDMI Cable in Black 6 Feet : Thunderbolt To Hdmi : Computers & Accessories
Amazon.com : StarTech.com MDP2HDMI Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Video Adapter Converter : Hdmi Cables : Electronics
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...40333&sr=8-5&keywords=mini+DisplayPort+to+DVI
And you can find cheaper at monoprice, or ebay.

Thanks for all those links, I see you are assuming that I'm an American living in the U.S. Unfortunately I haven't been granted that privilege, just accessing here requires TOR and I doubt Amazon ships to a war zone, but I have friends that will help with that, it probably takes a month or two to arrive.

bluegrass

I was going to say, as dirt cheap as the adaptor cable combination is, I would pick you up one and send it to you but if you have friends in the US, I guess they can help you out.

OP
T

Tsurugaya

I was going to say, as dirt cheap as the adaptor cable combination is, I would pick you up one and send it to you but if you have friends in the US, I guess they can help you out.

Thank you, very kind of you. I ordered the Microsoft dongle through their Japanese online store. Shipments to here goes through the Self Defense Forces that is why the delay is so long. Plane comes in every two weeks.