What's new

Use as an alarm clock

RémiM

Speaking about an issue regarding a stupid alarm clock app is already an issue by itself.

It's the first time of my life that I have to respect criterias to use an alarm clock.

Or you do an alarm clock that works no matter how much you sleep or if you plug or not your thingy, or you do nothing.

kristalsoldier

Hm....while I have never used the SP3 as an alarm clock, it is a bit ridiculous to think that I would have to plug the device to set an alarm. I've got to check this out.

OP
B

Ben Freedman

You can 'set' the alarm anytime, but apparently it won't ring if the computer has been in 'sleep' mode for more than a few hours (deep sleep)..

Best,

Ben

guymalloc

I've been using an old wind-up alarm clock for 40 years, paid $5 for it, I think, never been late for work or gotten up late for anything important. If you can afford a SP3, buy a wind up alarm....

grumpy

The alarm will not function if the device enters hibernation.
To disable hibernation, enter the following from an elevated command prompt:
powercfg /h off

RémiM

@guymalloc :

What if you buy a 150000$ car and the brakes dont work only when it's sunny outside. And what if I tell you: "Jeez' I've been using a bicycle for 40 years, paid 50$ for it, never had one problem when it's sunny outside. If you can afford a bike, buy a bicycle..."

nipponham

I've been using an old wind-up alarm clock for 40 years, paid $5 for it, I think, never been late for work or gotten up late for anything important. If you can afford a SP3, buy a wind up alarm....
The OP is not stupid and is not in a quandry because he doesn't know how to get through life without SP3 acting as an alarm clock. He is just asking if it's possible to get around the fact that the alarm app does not work after hibernation. It's a yes, no or maybe question. He is definitely not asking for alarm alternatives.

To the OP, I have a clock/alarm app as well (different from yours) and although I never use the alarm feature, I checked it out just to see how it works. It looks like its made for devices without connected standby so that you can go into power management to set the device to never sleep in order to use the alarm feature. Very bad design that makes the alarm pretty much useless. I was thinking perhaps you could you use task scheduler to wake SP3 up sometime before the alarm is supposed to go off but I think that can't be done when its in hibernation mode, so I'm stumped...

kundas1

ok folks lets keep the tone down please, I don't want this turning into a argument just because someone asked a legitimate question... on that note I have to agree with some folks here that using an alarm clock is not doable on a $1000+ device is pretty bad, there is $75 dollar devices that can do this with no problems, MS should have a way to enable alarm programs to wake the device out of hibernate and ring to wake the person at the intended time..

OP
B

Ben Freedman

Thanks... I guess I shouldn't mention my issues with OneNote... I'll just get a pad of paper and a pen. After all, I've used it for 40 years, and it's never once not worked... and if you can afford a SP3, buy a pad of paper and a pen...

SMILES!

Ben

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Normally the built in MUI. Alarm App would work as it is Connected Standby aware and I've used on my RT and S2, the issue is the SP3 uses hibernate if in Connected Standby for more than 4 hours.