What's new

Use as an alarm clock

msolok

Sorry, but what happens if I don't use my Surface from Lunchtime but want an alarm to go off the next day at 9am?

The best option isn't sopping the computer from going into Hibernate or extending the time before it hibernates. The best solution is to interrupt the Hibernation when you need things to happen.
Unfortunately Task Scheduler won't do this (as the Task is unable to run as the PC is in a Shutdown state). The app I linked to above (and there are other ones out there as well) will be able to interrupt the Hibernate and allow the Alarms and Scheduled Tasks to run as normal. Best of all it can be turned on and off when you don't want it, without trying to remember messy hacks.

Heino

Oh yeah good point. OK I think I found a better solution. No Visual Studio required:

powercfg /change hibernate-timeout-dc 600

That ought to keep the machine in connectedStandby mode for 10 hours on DC power instead of automatically timing out and hibernating after 4. If you enable-hyper-V or disable CS, this will not work. The machine will still auto-hibernate if the battery drains too far, so this is not a 100% reliable solution. But if there aren't too many apps polling in the background it should work.

You can also set the AC power timeout value independently:

powercfg /change hibernate-timeout-ac 600
did you actually test this and does it work within the 10 hours?

Thanks beforehand.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bottom line, it doesn't trigger alarms while powered off. If your use case is dependent on alarms triggering while it's powered off then disable hibernation. Hope we cleared that up.

kevroc

you analogy doesn't make any sense, we aren't talking about cars and mowing the lawn is so far off the spectrum of normal that you make no sense! having an alarm go off on a set time is not difficult to achieve on a TABLET.. and YES a tablet should be able to do everything another tablet can do, the only thing I can understand is that the hibernation is what is affecting the alarm app from working but there should be away to allow it to work together.. after all this is a TABLET and it needs to have connected stand by and I don't know why this is so hard for MS? anyways I'm not going to bicker about this as this is off topic and not helping the OP.

You just pointed out exactly why my analogy makes sense. The SP3 isn't a tablet, it's a computer, if that point is lost on you then so be it, but that's the problem here. Just because they make a computer and put it in somewhat of a tablet form factor does not make it a tablet. No more than adding a keyboard to a tablet makes it a computer.

kundas1

ACTUALLY it is a hybrid TABLET if you wanna get technical and please don't tell me that MS can't figure out how to make a simple bloody alarm clock work on a hybrid tablet...

OP
B

Ben Freedman

Hmmm... My desktop computer will wake from sleep to ring its alarm. My MacBook Pro will wake from sleep even on batteries to ring its alarm... I'm not sure that calling it a computer absolves it of this problem...

Best,

Ben

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm... My desktop computer will wake from sleep to ring its alarm. My MacBook Pro will wake from sleep even on batteries to ring its alarm... I'm not sure that calling it a computer absolves it of this problem...

Best,

Ben
The Surface wakes from Sleep as well just not Hibernation. The answer was given, turn off Hibernation.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The answer was given... yet people still post! Chill out and let me respond to my responses...

B.
Your response seems to imply you didn't understand the solution or it's purely argumentative for augments sake, in which case the thread should be locked.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK People - Relax....deep breath...

Ben - The Surface Pro 3 is unlike any of the other devices you mention above as this device is a Connected Standby enabled machine like an ATOM or ARM Device with the exception that the Surface Team modified the S0iX Spec to enable a Hybrid Hibernation Power Scheme to allow for longer battery life while not in use....

This design decision is what causing the Alarm not to work for periods of inactivity lasting over 4 hours.

I use my Lumia 1520 for my Alarm as it does what I need.