What's new

use Galaxy Note pen on SP?

mtalinm

Like most of you, I keep losing the Surface stylus because the power port just doesn't work as a holder.

When I saw at the Boston Surface 2 event that even Panos Panay doesn't use the power port - he has some other contraption - I decided to give up.

Then I was thinking, what if I had a phone/phablet with a stylus? I could buy a Note 3 and not worry about losing the Surface stylus.

I just mark up documents, don't need or care about pressure sensitivity etc.

Has anyone made the Note stylus work with the Surface Pro? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

Dahnark

I have note 2. I just try it now and it works perfectly. Appear the little circle on screen and the button have the same action in onenote (to select). Palm rejection works.

Resume: I have only tried Spen with onenote and it works exactly equal to Microsoft pen.

oion

I doubt "most" Pro users have lost the stylus. ;) Just sayin'--there'd be a whole lot more complaints about it here than there are.

The self-adhesive pen loop is a fix some other users have done, though. Check out the pic here, post #16.

mitchellvii

Really pathetic that Microsoft makes us rely upon $5 aftermarket crap to do what they should have done originally, provide decent safe pen storage. Even in Surface Pro 2 they dropped the ball. All the needed was a tiny slot to slip the pocket clip into, but no.

Sometimes I honestly wonder if Microsoft ever focus tests anything with actual users before pushing it out the door.

CrippsCorner

Would anyone have actually bought the stylus if it didn't come with the Surface for free? I've used it precisely once, to show off to my girlfriend that it was better than her iPad lol... it's stayed in my Nixon case ever since.

If you're using it, what for exactly? I did enjoy drawing a cock and balls in Paint, but nothing since...

Dahnark

Would anyone have actually bought the stylus if it didn't come with the Surface for free? I've used it precisely once, to show off to my girlfriend that it was better than her iPad lol... it's stayed in my Nixon case ever since.

If you're using it, what for exactly? I did enjoy drawing a cock and balls in Paint, but nothing since...

Mainly use for my surface is taking notes in class.

oion

There have been plenty of reviews and threads around here that point to at least three use cases for the stylus--artists (great article by that webcomic author, forget his strip), signing (threads around for signatures), and anyone whose work or academics require non-keyboard input like math equations and nonalphabetic languages. Then there's the other obvious use--stylus as a fine mouse, which makes sense with the Pro because legacy x86 software aren't going to be touch-friendly. I ended up using my Series 7 Slate this way (though I could type while holding a pen in other situations, so it wasn't too awkward for me either).

That does bring up the idea to ponder, though--maybe MS could have cut the price on the device by $25 or whatever and left the pen as an accessory.

OP
M

mtalinm

Oh I use the stylus every day, for marking up documents. I load them in Reader or PDF Touch and highlight/edit like crazy. Couple hours per day.

That's why it's annoying to have it fall off all the time. I velcroed it on my SP1, but eventually the Velcro peeled off of the pen.

Sounds like a Note 3 might be in my future....

Dahnark

Oh I use the stylus every day, for marking up documents. I load them in Reader or PDF Touch and highlight/edit like crazy. Couple hours per day.

That's why it's annoying to have it fall off all the time. I velcroed it on my SP1, but eventually the Velcro peeled off of the pen.

Sounds like a Note 3 might be in my future....

Surface pro 2 have magnetic place for stylus. Really confortable.

Johntxk

I was just handed an SP1 this morning that someone in engineering wasn't using. I use a Galaxy Note 8 tablet for notes and have a Note 3 for a phone. Both Stylus work perfectly on the SP1. I think an SP2 is in my future now.

oion

Any Wacom-powered stylus solution is going to work with a Surface Pro. The Galaxy Note series uses Wacom tech. Thus, it would work.