What's new

Use of youtube in the background

king182

I wanted to listen to YouTube (Video of a live concert) in the background while browsing the internet on my Surface2.
Funny thing was that when I had YouTube in the Background the Music stops after a few seconds. When I switched back to YouTube the Video started playing again...

Why´s that happening?
Any solutions?

Thanks! :)

D

Deleted member 10837

HTML:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro-2/6410-potential-first-time-owner.html#post41060

OP
K

king182

The funny thing is that other media sites work perfectly fine in the Background (e.g. nba stream,..).
And I wasn´t talking about the YouTube app - I watched YouTube through the ÍE11.

beman39

did you use the metro IE11 or the desktop IE11? I don't think the metro IE11 can stay open in the background, but the desktop version can

OP
K

king182

Always the metro one. Every site I tried worked but YouTube didn´t.
Anyone else experienced this?

Another thing about YouTube:
Used the app for the first time today. Not really a good app in my opinion. When you play a video and want to choose a video from the suggestions at the right side afterwords, the new video won´t start playing - the original video will start playing again but with the title and description of the new one...mhm.

oion

This isn't a problem. It's the nature of Metro. Apps won't continue running in the background because MS didn't want people to have a bunch of apps open and then can't find the one that's playing sound; when you switch metro apps, the one that was running will "pause." iOS and Android work the same way.

The only way to keep two metro apps running at the same time is snapping. Multitasking. If you play a video in Metro IE11 and stay on a different tab also within Metro IE11, however, the video/music will continue running.

Otherwise the desktop IE will behave differently; you can run a Youtube video in desktop IE and move between another desktop application or Metro app and it'll continue playing. And there is no official Youtube app in the store--all of them are made by third parties. You can blame Google for that.

CrippsCorner

This isn't a problem. It's the nature of Metro. Apps won't continue running in the background because MS didn't want people to have a bunch of apps open and then can't find the one that's playing sound; when you switch metro apps, the one that was running will "pause." iOS and Android work the same way.

Actually that's incorrect. I can play radio streaming on my iPhone, close the app down and run something else and the music will continue until I manually tell it to pause.

oion

Actually that's incorrect. I can play radio streaming on my iPhone, close the app down and run something else and the music will continue until I manually tell it to pause.

Fair enough. I think it also comes down to how the app was coded; there is in fact a way to code apps in Windows RT to continue running in the background, but that's not a default behavior, basically.

Iakh

I have the same problem, but it needs a better description!when i'm browsing in the metro IE 11 and have one tab open with youtube and currently browse another tab, youtube doesn't buffer anymore, so after some time the playback stops. returning to the youtube tab makes the video buffer proberly until i change again to another tab. I also figured out that this happens when the youtube video is displayed in html5 and not flash. but i haven't figured out how to force flash player on youtube (i have entered and left the html5 trial and deleted all cookies...still html5 playback)