What's new

Use Surface while lying down?

Kaos

I'm considering buying a Surface 2 Pro. I'm wondering if it's possible to use it while lying down, on the couch for example, with the kickstand so you don't need to hold it?
Or would the screen's angle be too steep?
The Surface looks amazing, so it's definitely not a deal breaker for me!

hypokondriak

I'm considering buying a Surface 2 Pro. I'm wondering if it's possible to use it while lying down, on the couch for example, with the kickstand so you don't need to hold it?

I fold the keyboard under, kickstand on keyboard with steepest angle, and head on a pillow all the time. Couch and bed.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

D1vad

borka105

This is my preferred way to use the Surface. Plus the predictive text in windows 8.1 makes typing without a keyboard a breeze.

The kickstand not only allows you to use the tablet hands free, but also eliminates the need of ever buying a case. You will be very pleased here.

The kickstand

Arizona Willie

I read in bed with mine every night ... but I lay on my back and hold it up with one hand ... or sometimes both. Have to keep switching hands because it does get heavy and makes arthritic fingers hurt to hold it for too long.

macmee

Some people use their surface laying down with the device on their chest? Dear god what are you people made out of. My neck hurts so much just trying this.

When I use the device in bed I use the thumb keyboard and hold the unit like a giant gameboy. It isn't the most comfortable, but its not terrible either.

For reading in bed, I still use the iPad. The Surface Pro 2 is one heavy beast!

CrippsCorner

I've used my Surface in bed loads of times. I have a big cushion behind me and have the kickstand out on my upper thighs. Never had a problem using it like this :)

It really makes me wonder why there were so many complaints about this usage when it first came out...

bluegrass

I've not tried it lying down but I enjoy and use it a lot sitting on a couch. The first thing I do is pull the keyboard off and set it to the side and place the kickstand in the new, second position. I only attach the keyboard if I'm needing to do a multiple select, holding the shift or control key down since I haven't learned a shortcut to do multiple selects using touch. As much spam mail as I deal with it's really helps to do muti-select in my email client. I bet that if you were laying down with a couple pillows for your head that the first kickstand position would work fine.

ARosch

I lie in bed all the time with the surface on my chest to read things. I have no issues with it at all.

beman39

I lay in bed all the time with it but half laying down with my back propped with my pillows and I use a cheepy lap desk thing I bought at Walmart for $9.99 and it's perfect for watching movies/typing/gaming everything actually

0068895565534_500X500.jpg

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I lay in bed all the time with it but half laying down with my back propped with my pillows and I use a cheepy lap desk thing I bought at Walmart for $9.99 and it's perfect for watching movies/typing/gaming everything actually

View attachment 1363

I use the same Lapdesk, but bought at Target while using it in laptop mode on my couch :)