What's new

Use the Surface Pen on Surface RT

carminexx

Hi,
I'm wondering about the use of the Surface Pen (which is for Surface Pro) on the RT version. I know that it isn't completely supported, as said on the Microsoft website.
But, is it "usable" in any way? I don't need complex features (ex: pressure, buttons, etc.), but the Surface Pen would work in any way on the Surface RT, or it would be only a waste of money?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface Pro pen will not work on the RT as the RT does not have an Active Digitizer (the Pro uses a modified Wacom Feel Digitizer). You would need to use a Capacitive Stylus for the RT, I use the Adonit Jot Pro personally and it works reasonably well for inking. The rubber tipped ones work OK for navigation but not inking.

beman39

jnj is right, although I have yet to find a good pen that I like as I don't like the rubber round ones...I wish they just made them a little bit smaller almost like the pen for the Surface Pro

OP
C

carminexx

Thank you, so I should use a standard rubber pen (but I think it's almost impossibile to write and draw diagrams with one of these), or a disk pen like the Adonit Jot.
About Adonit Jot, isn't the disk not so conformtable? May it scratch/ruin the screen? I've read in some reviews that the disk can scratch (considerably) a plastic screen protector.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you, so I should use a standard rubber pen (but I think it's almost impossibile to write and draw diagrams with one of these), or a disk pen like the Adonit Jot.
About Adonit Jot, isn't the disk not so conformtable? May it scratch/ruin the screen? I've read in some reviews that the disk can scratch (considerably) a plastic screen protector.

The rubber tipped stylus does not work well for inking. I've read the reviews for the Adonit, I clean my screen before I do any inking with it and I haven't scratched it yet. I ink everyday while taking notes during conference calls or meetings.

Tom T

There are other choices including some that feel like a fabric and slide almost effortlessly across the glass. One rubber tipped stylus that actually works is the Pogo Sketch pro, which I happen to like very much. It uses a replaceable perforated rubber tip that allows air to flow between the tip and glass to eliminate (for the most part) the friction and resulting heat that makes rubber tips almost useless for anything but navigation.

beman39

looks nice...but it still has that big ugly ball, I want something like the Pro pen...but I know that will never happen :cry:

john.calixte

The Surface Pro pen will not work on the RT as the RT does not have an Active Digitizer (the Pro uses a modified Wacom Feel Digitizer). You would need to use a Capacitive Stylus for the RT, I use the Adonit Jot Pro personally and it works reasonably well for inking. The rubber tipped ones work OK for navigation but not inking.

Thanks for the tip. I have always struggled with the rubber-tip stylus for inking on my RT. I just ordered an Adonit Jot Pro and will give it a shot.

oion

Keep in mind that those capacitive pens are designed to emulate a finger, which is why they're shaped like that. I do wonder, however, what the minimum threshold is in terms of size sensitivity--if a child's finger works, can't pen manufacturers emulate a child's finger? :p I suspect the main reason why they don't do this is for durability, but still. (This thing got bad reviews, and this looks hit or miss. This brush looks really nifty, but I'm not an artist.

I used the Adonit Jot (not pro version) on my Win7 and iPad tablets, and it worked quite well. For some reason, it doesn't work as well on my Surface RT, but whatever; I don't actually ink/handwrite on my RT much at all.

One thing to note about the Adonit product is that it's LOUD. I would not use it in the library, a meeting, or quiet class. If you think the Type keyboard is loud, the Adonit pens are all about that tapping sound as you mash the plastic disc against glass. Maybe if you use a screen protector that dampens the tapping, but probably not by much.

BruceDTX

I just wanted to say thank you guys for this thread. I just got my Surface 2 and while I don't intend on inking a lot with it, there was a few things I want to use a stylus for. I didn't want to shell out the double price to get the SP2, so I got my first Surface with the S2. So far I like it, but I'm having to make some adjustments to the way I "do business", but nothing major.

Appreciate the reviews. I just ordered the Adonis Jot Pro 2. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Bruce

I used the Adonit Jot (not pro version) on my Win7 and iPad tablets, and it worked quite well. For some reason, it doesn't work as well on my Surface RT, but whatever; I don't actually ink/handwrite on my RT much at all.
Wow. I wish you had remembered saying this when you responded to me in the "After the Apple event..." thread. I pointed out that the capacitive sensors on the Surface RT were of a lower resolution than the iPad and you challenged my statement claiming that it was an apples-n-oranges comparison.

oion

Wow. I wish you had remembered saying this when you responded to me in the "After the Apple event..." thread. I pointed out that the capacitive sensors on the Surface RT were of a lower resolution than the iPad and you challenged my statement claiming that it was an apples-n-oranges comparison.

And then the Adonit Jot Pro works perfectly fine. So what? The Surface screen works great with touch, which is what most users will use anyway, and plenty of users have already demonstrated that it works fine with handwriting/note-taking. If the screen is truly inferior in any way, usually people pick on the visual resolution.

Your obsession with this one factor notwithstanding, let me remind you that in product development, some corners are always cut when looking at the big picture. I'm sure MS could have put a better capacitive screen on there--they could've added "better" a lot of things. I suspect they didn't because people who do want to ink regularly and are picky about it should opt for the Pro, in their thinking, as a premium product; Apple doesn't offer true stylus support for any of their i-stuff, right? The big picture for MS at this point is that the Pro does have a stylus; as long as the Surface RT class screens aren't sucky for touch in regular use, then it's "good enough" and not an actual flaw for the vast majority of use cases.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be great if Tegra4's DS was enabled someday for even passive pen input, but if you wanted to complain about actual flaws, the initial kickstand single-angle is a far better one to pick.