What's new

Use This Gadget to Run EVERYTHING From Your USB 3.0...

J515OP

Super Moderator
What I am saying is that you cannot calibrate your monitor using the Intel HD 4000 Control Panel unless you are hooked to display port as the Control Panel simply will not see the monitor as existing. I like the HD 4000 Control Panel due to the outstanding Gamma Control which allows me to render text blacker. Other color settings can be handled just fine on the monitor itself but the Intel drivers give the best gamma options.

I am not talking about adjusting the monitor settings on the monitor either. This would be Windows system settings and though I am not sure if it is tied to the Intel HD 4000 control panel specifically this seems to be another way to adjust exactly what you are talking about without the issue you are talking about. Did you even look at the location mentioned in the Control Panel and not the Intel Panel? I am pretty sure this is monitor independent.

Calibrate your display

How to Calibrate Your Monitor | PCMag.com

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

If i didn't care how my monitor looks i wouldn't have sent the unit back. Everyone has different priorities.

HD_Dude

+1

I have this too, and it's great. The Plugable, which we have, looks a lot like the Toshiba. But the Plugable is totally flexible, and very powerful. Two cable connection to the Surface: USB 3.0 to the dock, and the Surface's AC power connection, since this unit does not supply AC to the Surface.

Excellent technology.

ScottyS

Both the Toshiba and Targus say they can run an external monitor 2048x1152. Is there any hub that can go 2560 x 1440?

J515OP

Super Moderator
That is probably the max resolution currently available. This reference might help you track something else down but I don't think it exists yet.

DisplayLink: DL-3000 for OEMs

DisplayLink DL-3000 Series

DL-3000 Platform Joins USB 3.0 and Irresistible High-Definition Graphics

USB 3.0 is here, and it's faster, better, and more powerful. Nowhere is the leap more evident than in graphics, where the highly integrated DL-3000 chip platform powers multiple HD displays and audio channels with SuperSpeed USB 3. The DL-3000 enables next-generation docking stations, displays, and other integrated devices. It can simultaneously process HD video, Gigabit Ethernet, and multi-channel audio.

The entry-level DL-3100 chip delivers resolution up to 2048 x 1152. The other DL-3000 chips can go to a cutting-edge 2560 x 1600 pixels while enabling the use of dual HD monitors. Every chip in the DL-3000 family features DisplayLink's highly efficient adaptive compression provides a single-chip platform for both USB 2.0 and 3.0, and enhances performance of USB 2 graphics.

DL-3000 Features

Single-chip solution for USB 2.0 & 3.0
Dual digital video outputs (DL-3900)
High resolutions for any display (up to 2560x1600)
Supports VGA DAC, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort monitor connections
Improved video compression (DL 3.0)
GigaBit Ethernet MAC
6 channel Audio (up to 5.1ch)
HDCP 2.0 encryption over the USB input
Capable of protected content playback
USB 2 & 3 bus power-capable
Low-power USB 3.0 monitors run using a single cable for both power and graphics data
Backwards compatible with USB 2 computers

DisplayLink's DL-3000 can be an important enabler to development of products that make high-end monitors available and easily usable to workforces with standard PCs and laptops. DisplayLink technology is chosen by our partners to embed in a wide range of their products, from USB docking stations, to USB monitors, USB projectors, and more.

ScottyS

Guess I'd had to plug a display thru the Mini DisplayPort and everything else thru a hub. Thanks.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

The deal-killer on all of these for me is that apparently the HD 4000 Control Panel does not recognize USB 3.0 monitors. This means that all of the cool things you can do like tweaking gamma (my favorite for deepening black levels - I hate gray fonts) are unavailable. Too bad, it's always something.

puma

The deal-killer on all of these for me is that apparently the HD 4000 Control Panel does not recognize USB 3.0 monitors. This means that all of the cool things you can do like tweaking gamma (my favorite for deepening black levels - I hate gray fonts) are unavailable. Too bad, it's always something.

I am reviving this thread.. so any new developments that would enable someone to hook up two monitors on the mini display port? I also cannot stand the washed out display when hooked up to the docks.. I can barely read text without my eyes hurting.

demandarin

I posted on this in another thread. I put up 3 videos showing this in action. They had 4 monitors hooked up to this and was all controlled by a single surface pro. It ran very well also. I might get this one or the newer upgraded version.

Padron26

Cool thread, it reminded me that I have a hp version of this the hp 3005pr that I use to use with smaller laptops hp 8440 & 8460. It worked we'll with laptops, not sure about the SP yet.

It was very useful when I needed it

spotty4583

Agreed.

Just received this unit today and it turns the MS Pro from a good product into a great product.
I was looking for a tablet upgrade and desktop upgrade. I have both now!!

Need to buy a couple of peripherals now ( USB 3.0 disk ) etc to really show this off.