What's new

USED Replacement Surface - do you think this is acceptable?

grumpy

I recently received my replacement unit. It too arrived in plain brown box wrapped in a padded bag. Cosmetically, it is in excellent condition. The screen looks pristine and there is only some slight wear around the charge connector. I agree that refurbished units should be reconditioned to a "like new" condition.

The primary reasons for the replacement were the battery level constantly resetting to 100% (started prior to the Dec update and unaffected by the Jan update) and the screen creaking. The new unit does not exhibit these issues, but my original unit did not start to exhibit these issues until after a month of use, so only time will tell...

I am a little disconcerted that the "new" unit exhibits some of the battery "anomalies" that I observed with my original unit. Specifically, there seems to be an odd 3% capacity "hole" where the battery level will instantaneously drop from 25% to 22%. Also, it insists on entering hibernation at 8% instead of the 5% that it is set to hibernate at.

I fully updated and all updates report as successful (including the Jan update). The display driver was rather old (I believe it is from the Oct update), so the display driver was crashing during the sleep-hibernation transition. This was fixed with the 3345 driver included with the Dec update, but it was apparently pulled with the rest of the Dec update. I installed the 3368 display driver from the MS download center and it seem to be working well (it hasn't crashed - yet).

So, the "new" unit fixes the major issues that I had and it was in good cosmetic condition, but I really don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling...

EDIT: Drat, I have just noticed some very subtle creaking from the right side of the screen (same location as my old one). It is not nearly as bad, but I haven't had it nearly as long nor have I been running anything that would generate much heat. Not promising... Not really worth pursuing another replacement - I would not have gotten this replacement if it were not for the battery resetting issue. Still, it is a little disappointing.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nitemare

I'm still dealing with this issue. I have received my 4th replacement device, all with some type of cosmetic defect that is beyond what I would deem acceptable. The charging port is bound to scratch, and I'm okay with that. But receiving units with scratches all around the ports and on the backside is unacceptable. The latest unit arrived dusty/dirty with adhesive smudged on the back. The one before this was in near-perfect condition, except it literally had a pin-sized hole in the bottom of the casing where the covers snap in that appeared rusted...

The rep who has worked with me has been trying all he can. The MS Store refused to help at all (with a new unit). Since this, he has been giving me overnight labels to send the replacements back a little faster. It still takes about 2 weeks to get a new replacement due to having to wait for it to arrive in Mexico for my order to be closed.

Hopefully my device doesn't kick the dirt because the display issues are still there and more prevalent at times.

GoodBytes

not too long ago, people here laughed at me for complaining that MS applies rubbush paint on the Surface, rather than a solid coating like Apple does. Looks like it's not so funny any more.
It's not unusual to have used replacements, Apple has the same exchange policy, but if the device looks like crap after one week of regular use, this is definitely going to become a problem. I'm curious how MS will handle this.

No. It's because you fail to understand that Apple uses aluminum. A material that can dyed to a color, and up looking nice. The results is that scratches don't show.
Microsoft uses Magnesium alloy. And like ALL magnesium products it's always painted. All my previous laptops where magnesium body, and they were all painted, and all faces the same problem.
You want aluminum? Expect a heavier device.

Last edited:

grumpy

It still takes about 2 weeks to get a new replacement due to having to wait for it to arrive in Mexico for my order to be closed.

How long does it usually take for the order to be closed after MS receives the old device? My order status still says "Service center is processing the order " even though they received my old SP2 a week and a half ago. I need a new replacement due to more battery issues but the myservice says that service is unavailable which I assume is due to the order not being closed.

OP
N

Nitemare

How long does it usually take for the order to be closed after MS receives the old device? My order status still says "Service center is processing the order " even though they received my old SP2 a week and a half ago. I need a new replacement due to more battery issues but the myservice says that service is unavailable which I assume is due to the order not being closed.

My last two replacements followed this timeline:

Received on a Thursday/Friday. Shipped back on Friday and received on Monday in Texas (overnight label was provided by care team), then it goes to Mexico. I got a call on Monday or Tuesday a week later to set up a new order.

munakib

I would love to know what are the Customer Service ideals/standards for MS! I work at a Bank and for us it is the primary goal of the retail banking team to providing CS beyond customer's expectation. Sure banking is more service oriented than FMCG but MS seems downright aweful. Anyone who comes to this site for assurance of their new sweet Surface Pro would be appalled to know how MS handles its customers. Sure they promptly respond and send you 3-4 replacements but the whole Going Beyond Customers Expectation, CS experience is not there (if you are going to receive used/scratched "refurbished" products). Its a waste of customers time and also MS's. I recently took my MBA 2013 to apple store because of a dead pixel, they gave me a refurbished one - which is just simply brand new and I felt that was going beyond. I am sure Apple also gets scratched up returns, they just dont repack it and hand them back out cause there is a Standard they follow in order to make me a return customer - every refurbished Mac I saw till now has been flawless. /rant over!

Last edited:

GoodBytes

Well, if you go to the Microsoft Store you get a new unit.
The problem is if you don't have a Microsoft store near by.

But I agree, they should replace damaged enclosures.

CrippsCorner

I wonder if Microsoft will ever burst their American bubble and open some stores around Europe... here's hoping.

kevinlevrone

But I agree, they should replace damaged enclosures.

If you look at the iFixIt disassembly procedure for the Surface Pro/2, you will realize that replacing/repairing the enclosure would probably cost the same as giving out a new unit. Everything is basically glued together.

GoodBytes

They most likely put the surface pro in a special oven, it comes out, and using a suction cup they pull out the glass.